Author Topic: wiper switch needs replacing on a 1985 tilt steering column  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Jimo

I have a 1985 silverado K10 with a tilt steering column and I need to replace the wiper switch. I know that I can disassemble the column to get to the switch, but there is a small cover on the side of the column that covers the switch and it appears that the cover can be removed to access the wiper switch, but I can not figure out how to remove the cover.. Does anyone know how to remove that cover?

Thanks,

Jimo

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: wiper switch needs replacing on a 1985 tilt steering column
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:39:49 PM »
The steering wheel and upper column need to be removed/disassembled to replace a column mounted wiper switch.  Attempting to remove just the plastic cover won't provide suitable access to service the switch and will result in breaking the cover.  The wiper switch resides directly below the turn signal switch.  Whether you have a standard or tilt column the following procedure shares sufficient similarity with both types of column to convey what is needed to replace the wiper switch:  HOW TO: FIXING A SLOPPY GM TILT COLUMN (Technical Forum)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Jimo

Re: wiper switch needs replacing on a 1985 tilt steering column
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
bd,

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have a project to do.
Jimo