Author Topic: TH400 shifts late and hard  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Hulkjoegan

TH400 shifts late and hard
« on: July 05, 2017, 01:22:44 PM »
New to the forum, just picked up an 85 C20 Suburban, 454 with a th400, runs pretty good except the trans shifts late and kicks hard, 1-2 anywhere between 35-50mph. Don't have a tach so I don't know what rpm. I was told this was a common Chevy problem.  The previous owner said he'd changed all fluids except trans. So I'm gonna changed fluid and filter soon, but I wanna make sure I don't have to dig into the trans multiple times. I unplugged the kick down  solenoid to make sure it wasn't stuck in passing gear, but it still kept up the problem. Could the vacuum modulator or governor be causing my problem?
1985 Suburban C20 Scottsdale "Bonnie the 'burb"
454 Quadrajet TH400

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
  • Reducing resale value since 8-track days
Re: TH400 shifts late and hard
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »
Vacuum modulator controls part-throttle shifts.  If it has failed, lost its vacuum connection, or has cracks in the vacuum hoses (or heck - even plumbed to the wrong place), the engine will shift as if it is at or close to full throttle.
The Crusty Chevy: 1977 Silverado, shortboxed & dropped, potato-potato.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
To reiterate, check the condition and connections of the manifold vacuum line that runs to the transmission vacuum modulator.  Verify that full manifold vacuum is actually reaching the modulator.  Unplug the vacuum line from the modulator and rotate the modulator body so the vacuum nipple is pointing straight down.  If any ATF drips out of the vacuum line or modulator nipple, replace the modulator valve.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Hulkjoegan

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the info, finally got around to really digging in. Hose on the vac modulator appeared to be a little dry rotted, replaced that and it seems to have fixed my problem.
1985 Suburban C20 Scottsdale "Bonnie the 'burb"
454 Quadrajet TH400