Author Topic: Hazard Button Help  (Read 7691 times)

Offline TheHairyFalcon

Hazard Button Help
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »
Hi, I have a 1974 K10. I noticed the other day that my hazard button is missing and the inside of the hole looks damaged. I have not had the truck very long so I am still making some discoveries. I am going to post a picture. Does the hole looked damaged? If not what kind of switch do I put in it? If it is damaged can I rewire the button to a switch on the dashboard? Thank you all in advance.

Offline blazer74

Re: Hazard Button Help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »
Hazards are part of the turn signal switch. The knob is held on with a small screw.

Looks broken off. Should be a little plastic piece there.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
I agree.  Although the image you posted doesn't show much detail, there seems to be a plastic boss missing that accepts the retaining screw for the hazard switch knob (first two images, below).  The hazard switch is a component of the turn signal switch - the knob attaches to the side of the switch assembly using a ~1" long screw.  You can procure the turn signal switch and hazard knob as a complete kit, assuming a non-tilt column.  (BTW - Our site store is a vendor for American Autowire.  You can email Captkaos - webmaster@73-87chevytrucks.com - for price and availability if you like).  You will need to remove the steering wheel and underlying lock plate to access and replace the switch assembly, which requires a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor - both tools can be rented from AutoZone, O'Reillys, etc.  Replacing the turn switch consumes about 40 minutes.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline TheHairyFalcon

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:48:09 PM »
Thank you for your help! I had the steering wheel and lock plate off the other day to replace the ignition cylinder, that is when I noticed the hazard switch being missing. Now that I know what I do I am confident that I fix this rather easily. Thank you again!

Offline blazer74

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »
Just to point out, on your 74 the knob is smaller and one piece vs the one in the pic for a later model assuming you have the original column in the truck.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
When I replaced the turn signal and hazard mechanism on my '75, I picked up the part from Advanced Auto Parts.  The switch itself fit in the column without any problem, but the plug on the end where it connects to the wiring in the lower part of the column was not made correctly.  It is a wide, flat plug, with multiple wire connections, and the spacing on the new plug was off just a little, so it would not connect properly and snap together.  I finally cut the connector off the new switch and spliced on the connector from the old switch, which worked fine.

Bruce

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:42:30 PM »
If the K10 is same as C10, this is the one with a screw in the middle. The switch is made onto turn signal switch.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:44:47 PM by Rapid Roy »
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice