Author Topic: New from mid-Atlantic region  (Read 1865 times)

Offline GrandNattyDan

New from mid-Atlantic region
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:25:24 PM »
What's up fellas? My name is Dan. I'm new to the k10 experience because I've never really seen one before. I stumbled upon some on my local Craigslist and was like woah these are pretty good looking trucks. A little background info, I'm 28 an electrician I've been into cars since I was a child. I currently own a 1987 Buick grand national a 2009 challenger base a 2004 Nissan Sentra se-r and a Kia minivan. Not much into the only driving one brand of car. If it's nice it's nice. Anyways, I stumbled upon a 1979 k10 and I like it. Possibly ready to buy if I can get a deal where I feel we both win. I've been watching YouTube and reading posts about towing. I havnt really gotten the information I've been looking for. Every time a thread starts with can a (input year k10 here) everybody chimes in with what they have done with their non related year truck so I've never been given the information I want. I did find a picture somebody posted about towing capacity and the k10 (no year specified) seems to fall around 6500#. What I'm looking for in a truck is style (k10 check) power and reliability. Also like stated a towing vehicle to move my grand national. I go to a huge car show at the beach and have driven my gn there and it didn't like that. Cooling fan took a poop and radiator hose exploaded all over the place. I'd also like to have a truck I can take on the beach itself. K10 checks out there too. I've seen people swap out to 3/4 and 1ton axles and leafs but not too sure it's all I'd have to do. Including gears and trans cooler of course. So I'm here to read and research my butt off before pulling the trigger. These trucks are going between $5k-$10k in my area and most are closer to the $5k spectrum. If this truck is not made for what I'm looking for please inform me. I was hoping it was a better alternative then spending tens of thousands of dollars on a newer f250 or 2500hd. Also, anybody ever put a supercharger on these beasts? That would be awesome. I'm looking to get into an automatic. I can drive standard, most of my sportier vehicles have been stick except my GN. Thanks in advance guys!
1987 Buick grand national bored and strokes to 4.1. 7276 turbo meth injection fmic -street strip show
2009 Dodge Challenger stock weekends
2004 Nissan Sentra se-r stock daily driver
2003 Kia minivan family car

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: New from mid-Atlantic region
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
Welcome from the St. Louis, MO area
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline frankentruck79

New from mid-Atlantic region
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »
Wish I could help on towing capacity.

Here's a sticky. Depends on gearing, transmission and engine size.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=33169

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:32:54 PM by frankentruck79 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:39:39 PM »
welcome from maryland. imo the most important thing with towing is the trailer and hitch. stopping is number one and that is based on if the trailer has brakes. your gvwr of a k10 should be about 6100 but make sure you dont tow in OD if you want that 700r4 to last
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline GrandNattyDan

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
welcome from maryland. imo the most important thing with towing is the trailer and hitch. stopping is number one and that is based on if the trailer has brakes. your gvwr of a k10 should be about 6100 but make sure you dont tow in OD if you want that 700r4 to last

I was born and raised in Maryland. In this forum I'm technically south Atlantic whereas in other forums I'm considered mid Atlantic. It seems with the research I'm gathering it may be more cost effective to purchase a newer truck for towing. I'm going to look at the k10 I was talking about this weekend and will probably still purchase it. Make it a weekend at the beach toy.
1987 Buick grand national bored and strokes to 4.1. 7276 turbo meth injection fmic -street strip show
2009 Dodge Challenger stock weekends
2004 Nissan Sentra se-r stock daily driver
2003 Kia minivan family car