Author Topic: Towing question  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Artezio

Towing question
« on: August 24, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »
I just got my truck back after doing a completely custom 6.2 rebuild with Coated pistons made by mahle, among other top quality internals, banks sidewinder turbo system with banks exhaust system, peninsular diesel high output water pump for extra cooling, gear vendors auxiliary transmission coupled with a th400 HD, I got the coated pistons but I'm still not planning on having the egt's go above 1k. The one thing I don't know is the gearing of the axles it's a 4x4 dually so I'll assume they're 3.73's. What would the reasonable tow capacity be at 70 mph maintained, I only have a 2000# travel trailer so I would imagine it won't be a problem I'm just curious.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Towing question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »
3.73 is kind of low for a 1 ton. you should have 4.10 or 4.56. i know a crew cab with a 454 th400 and 4.10 dually is rated at 11000 lb. i would assume your would be around the same ball park but your power shouldnt have an issue with that weight.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
Re: Towing question
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »
You're well within tow capacity.  But the truth of the matter it all gets down to how fast, how heavy and where you are going to tow.  Which means how many HP you plan on running thru the engine and gear boxes (anticipated speed-mass-hills-altitude) and how fast might you need to stop (brakes).  Take it easy and you can tow a lot, drive like an idiot and your tow capacity is limited.