Author Topic: She's dying  (Read 2183 times)

Offline chiefmiller84

She's dying
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »
Driving my truck the past few days she's wanting to die on me. I turned down the radio to hear it. Sounds like it's struggling for fuel. Should I just replace carb and pump or somewhere else to start? Maybe tuning carb (which I'm not experienced in at all)? It's a 1969 307 with a q-jet and stock tanks. 83 c10 swb dual tanks, but only running the left one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: She's dying
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »
i wouldnt start with the carb. could be a few other things fuel related or something totally different.
im going to see if i can find a checklist for you to use. but when was the last tune up or fuel filter replacement?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:30:55 PM »
you can find the service manuals HERE. for trouble shooting i would go with the year of your truck.

more specifically you can find the engine diagnosis HERE. be prepared its a lot of pages, but that link will take you directly to section 6 which is the engine diagnosis
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
Dying at idle, while accelerating, while cruising - when?  Does it have an idle solenoid and is it working?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)