Author Topic: Needing yall's opinion on something  (Read 6334 times)

Offline kylen52

Re: Needing yall's opinion on something
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
I can buy a core ls motor from him from 50 to 100 bucks depending on what year and what's all wrong with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who wants a boat anchor ?
Uhh.  I mean a engine block that may or may not be rebuildable?
A crate engine is way cheaper than the parts and labor for a rebuild

I don't see any market for scrap metal

A turn key package with a reprogrammed computer and a reworked harness with a fuse box and three wires to hook up ,  and videos of it running in a stand and video of the compression test
there IS a market for that
Well that's your opinion bud, a lot of people would pay good money for a rebuilt motor. Already have a lot of people asking me for them.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »
I can buy a core ls motor from him from 50 to 100 bucks depending on what year and what's all wrong with it

A turn key package with a reprogrammed computer and a reworked harness with a fuse box and three wires to hook up ,  and videos of it running in a stand and video of the compression test
Well that's your opinion bud, a lot of people would pay good money for a rebuilt motor. Already have a lot of people asking me for them.

1st Watch your tone. 2nd Read the subject of your thread - You are asking for everyone's opinion which is exactly what you got here and quite frankly they are valid points and good suggestions. Seems to me like you are getting exactly what you asked for so keep it cool.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline kylen52

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »

1st Watch your tone. 2nd Read the subject of your thread - You are asking for everyone's opinion which is exactly what you got here and quite frankly they are valid points and good suggestions. Seems to me like you are getting exactly what you asked for so keep it cool.

Well I don't see how you thought I had a "tone" but okay lol, I'm just saying I could get the cores cheap and even if I couldn't end up using them I could always sell them back to my grandpa so he could sell them to the core guy, so either way I'm not gonna loose money

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »
Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind.  Without endorsing your idea I think you should go for it.  If it's profitable, congrats.  If it isn't, the congratulations stand for accepting the risk and testing the opportunity.  Honestly, you're not going to know the outcome until you apply your concept.  Cater to those who have claimed to want one locally and see whether they follow through with the cash.  Then see whether the demand rises or falls after the initial "surge."  If the business is profitable, you could acquire a vendor subscription on this forum and advertise to your heart's content - but not before.   ;)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline roundhouse

Needing yall's opinion on something
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »

If you have several years of experience rebuilding LS engines I would think you could stay busy selling them locally and wouldn't need an auction site ,
The shipping costs on something that large and heavy is probably going to be a deal killer
If I was looking to have an engine rebuilt I'd want a experienced local guy with a good reputation and good warranty
What type or warranty were you thinking of offering ?

That's a lot of $$ to be trying to work out a warranty claim seven states away.
Normally  not much warranty on a used engine , most junkyards offer 30 days from purchase , so after installation time , usually gives you a out a week to drive it
But on a rebuilt engine most buyers want a warranty

Based on your post mentioning that your grandfather has a salvage yard I thought you were wanting to sell used engines ,

Good running used 5.3 LS engines are about $500 around where I live
With good used ones so cheap I didn't realize there was a lot of market for rebuilt ones

I have done an LS transplant , bought a junkyard takeout for $550 with harness and computer

Sent the computer off to be programmed and reworked the harness myself

If there was a business near me that had an inventory of LS engines , that had been compression tested and videos of it running ,either still  in the wrecked car or on a stand , and came ready to drop in with a reprogrammed computer and reworked harness , at a reasonable price , I definitely would have gone there

And it's a good profit
Pacfab charges $2700 for a 5.3 that's been run On a test stand and comes with a reworked harness and reprogrammed computer and a 12 month warranty

That's a $500 engine and $500 worth of computer and harness work if you pay someone reputable to do the work

So they are making a $1700 profit , 

But even as large as Atlanta is , there is no such business .
 Anyone that's doing a transplant would like to have a package engine that's ready to hook up three wires and crank
   I think that's  where the demand would be

I don't think the auction part would be attractive
  I think the people looking for an engine want a firm price so they can compare it to other places , rebuilt engine is $X, used engine is $Y and make a decision right away
If it's to get a late model vehicle back on the road , the shop or customer wants it done as soon as possible and a firm advertised price is the only way to do that
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:26:32 AM by roundhouse »