Author Topic: Heater Core bracket & rubber spacers?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline gntblue

Heater Core bracket & rubber spacers?
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:45:44 PM »
I am finishing up my frame off restoration and I am ready to install the heater core.  I seem to only have one thin metal bracket that is used (i believe)to hold the core in place inside of the box.  I seem to remember it being installed on the end of the core where the pipes go thru the fire wall but i am wondering if their should be a second one on the other end of the core.

Also with regards to the rubber cushion pad that is installed between the core and the firewall, is there anywhere to get a replacement?  Also it seems to me that their should be another rubber pad located somewhere inside of the housing so that the core does not bang around.  Can anyone confirm if i should have more than one rubber piece?

Also just to make sure i have this installed correctly the top hose from the heater core leaves the core and goes to the radiator and the bottom hose from the core is connected to an outlet on the intake.  Is this correct?  This would mean that no hoses are connected from the water pump to the core.....

Thanks

Offline gntblue

Re: Heater Core bracket & rubber spacers?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »
Sorry forgot to add this info....... 74 K10 NON AC truck...350 with automatic trans.

Offline gntblue

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »
Here is a photo of how I have the lines connected.  It seems to me based on what I have been reading on here that I have it correct.  Can someone with the know how confirm this?

Offline gntblue

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
Can anyone please answer the heater core retainer bracket question?  I need to know if the core should be secured with one or two brackets?  And if it is only one I would assume it goes on the bottom since the top is secured by the rubber piece and the firewall.  Attached are some photos...

I only have one of these so if I should have two can someone tell me where they can be purchased from as I cant seem to find them on line?

Thanks

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »
The heater core requires two tank clamps, one at each end.  The clamp that's missing is for the "in-out tank," original GM parts group number 8.854, part number 3024673.  You may need to scour the scrap yards or a local radiator shop.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline gntblue

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »
Thanks bd.  Does anyone have a photo of what it looks like?  I cant find an image anywhere on the web. 

I am wondering if I could fabricate one?

Offline roger97338

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:04:36 AM »
I don't have a photo, but I recently replaced my heater core so I have a pretty good memory of what it looked like. It's just a thin, round, metal bar. Each end is looped for a small bolt to fit through and secure it in place. It goes between  the in/out ports of the heater core and the its body.

See my image for a better idea.

The bracket is similar on each end.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
Hi Roger:
When I went through the exercise you are doing, my gaskets that goes between the plastic (or fiberglass) AC and heater housings and the firewall just fell apart and disintegrated. I could not find any replacement so I purchases some closed cell sheet of the appropriate thicknesses from McMaster-Carr and cut out my own gaskets and padding for the core housings. I glued them on with a spray adhesive.
Regards,
Henry