Author Topic: Non-tilt steering column, ignition sector gear removal  (Read 3242 times)

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
Non-tilt steering column, ignition sector gear removal
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:59:44 AM »
Okay so i'm getting a 89 GMC R3500 through the impound auction at work and being a truck that was impounded from private property it has no keys, not a big problem i have an ignition cylinder with key and can get new door locks but while i was getting the truck running with no ignition key cylinder installed the sector gear that actuates the rack in the column managed to jump teeth leaving the ignition stuck in the run position and unable to turn back to off. I need to know how to remove the sector gear (The ignition key cylinder slots onto the gear and the gear moves the rack to actuate the electrical ignition switch) so i can realign it properly with the rack so i can properly actuate the ignition through the lock-unlock-run-start positions again and install my new key cylinder.

Additional info: Truck is a standard (floor shift) non tilt steering column
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
Re: Non-tilt steering column, ignition sector gear removal
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
Well i figured it out tonight after doing all the extra work of unmounting the electrical ignition switch on the column under the dash, turns out the Sector gear just pulls out got a nice firm grip with the needle nose pliers and it came out, realigned it with the rack, shoved it back in and it's all ready for my new ignition cylinder
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater