Author Topic: Tire crud on rim flange, before and after:  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Tire crud on rim flange, before and after:
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
i didn't see much of this elsewhere on the net, so i want your opinions:

i am going to be using Astro wheels.
These came off of a 98-2005 from the salvage yard, i don't remember.  But obviously they have some rubber crud on the rim flange:

i decided (on my own opinion) to try to clean this crud off.  So i used a Dremel and the carbon steel accessory attachment, #428-02. 

This got the crud off without scratching anything.   The pics may appear to still have some residue on them, but this is, as far as i can tell, is discoloration.  And the flange is now smooth:

So, should we even worry about rubber residue on the rim?  i'm thinking the tire bead will conform to any rubber residue on the flange?   Now rust or scratches would be different because the tire's bead can't fill those cracks?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Tire crud on rim flange, before and after:
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 01:09:39 PM »
yes you should. those alum rims have a issue with the chrome plating they have. it will start to pit and peal and that rubber is actually a sealer a tire shop had to add to stop it from leaking. on my 04 when i had pepboys do my tires it took them i think 2 or 3 times to try and fix the tires leaking and they never did so i ended up taking it to a local shop that my uncle works at and he informed me of the issue for those years with GM vehicles i think dodge also had that problem
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes