Author Topic: 86 C10 lwb 833 to nv3500  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Qman

86 C10 lwb 833 to nv3500
« on: June 22, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
I just finished putting a nv3500 trans(mg5 code) from, i think a 99 silverado 2wd 4.3 into my 86 c10 longbed with a 350sb the other day and i thought id make this thread for anybody who has the New Process a833 trans and wants something a bit more recent...and a bit more decent to shift. Also not quite the gear gap. I didnt realize how easy it would be until i started this little project. So i will make a list(this is can only confirm for the same year c10 single cab longbed that comes factory with a small block and the a33 transmission.BUT may work similar on other models with the same trans)

What you can reuse:
Same bolt pattern on the bellhousing so no adapter needed
Same flywheel is compatible.
Same clutch disc, even, if you want.
-Driveshaft-i was pleasantly surprised to find out that the GM 833(aka NP440) and this particular nv3500 measure less than a half inch different from both bellhousing-tailshaft and bellhousing to center of yoke u-joint measurements. This meant just switch over the output shaft yoke and i could reuse my three piece shaft.
-Clutch hydro line(mostly)
-i am using the same clutch master cylinder, right or wrong. Not sure if its exactly the correct size diameter but it seems to work fine.
-Poly transmission mount

Parts/modifications needed:
-custom crossmemeber(the nv3500 mount is way back on the tailshaft so its not even close to the stock crossmember.)it is very important when making to new crossmember to make sire that the output of the trans hangs at exactly the same height relative to the frame so that your driveshaft angles dont get too thrown out of whack.
-pressure plate. Its got different style spring fingers for the internal slave style throwout bearing
A hole will need to be cut in the floor since the new shifter is a center-top mount.

I will figure out how to post pictures somewhere tomorrow and post up links
1986 C10 LWB. Daily'd project.
(Mild 350, nv3500, 3.08 rear w/locker, slightly lowered) the drift truck
It puts the "fun" in "functional"