73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Brakes, Frame, Steering & Suspension

Overload Leaf Spring Removal

(1/2) > >>

Chevynut73:
The ol girl is retired and will no longer be used as a "working truck".

Wondering if I could remove the overload leaf spring only and help her not be so stiff in the rear.
We have removed the long fleetside bed which was very heavy and replaced it with a short stepside which is pretty light weight.
With all of that weight gone in the rear, she's very stiff now - would sure like to soften the ride up.
Suggestions? 

Scott91370:
You can.  It may not do much.  You could also remove the next spring in the pack and see how it rides.  If you're not using it to haul then you shoudl be fine.  Remember, removing the second spring in the pack might lower the rear just a bit as well.

I had a had a 4 spring pack and I removed the two middle springs to lower it.  Couldn't put anything in the rear because it was soft but it rode better when empty.

VileZambonie:
Overload will not make it a better ride but will change the height and weight of the pack.

JohnnyPopper:
Are you referring to the flat spring at the bottom of the stack?

My K10 came with a 'camper' leaf spring pack, 5 leafs above the overload. Rough ride.

I had the lowest two springs removed to match the C10 stack I'm building.

Wife noticed it right away, much smoother ride.

Chevynut73:
She has a 4 leaf spring pack on her.
The bottom leaf which i think is the overload leaf, is at least twice the thickness of the other 3. 
She's just really stiff!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version