Author Topic: Modest not Outrageous Headlight Upgrade  (Read 19666 times)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Modest not Outrageous Headlight Upgrade
« on: June 10, 2015, 01:48:19 AM »
Hey all. As the title states, I'm looking to upgrade my headlights. I'm trying to not spend buckets of money on my truck for a while, spent waaaaaay to much on it in the past year, thousands in fact. Anyway, I'm NOT spending anymore than 250 dollars on this upgrade. I know there are all sorts of fancy and expensive units out there, not interested in that. Obviously, ebay and amazon will most likely be 1 of the places I purchase from but I'm not looking to pull the trigger tomorrow, a month from now is ok too.

My current headlights are good, both function hi & low, both are of equal briteness and range. They just leave something to be desired, no reason to change them if this was 1982, but it's not so I know I can do better easily. Also, I'm not looking to get anything that requires odd amounts of special brackets, wiring kits for the space shuttle and stuff that requires fabricating a custom radiator support. With that being said, I've found 2 units currently that hold my attention. I should say 1 unit and the other is a family, just depends on what sibling I want.

The first is an H4 conversion kit with an LED bulb kit from Firewire LED's. This set was featured on the build "Lock Jaw" on PowerNation TV.

http://www.firewireleds.com/7-round-h4-headlight-conversion-kit/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

The second is a family of lights, they are offered by Delta Industries. I can get them in either a Xenon bulb with or without an LED halo or I can get them in an LED bulb with or without an LED halo or I can get them in an HID bulb with or without an LED halo.

Xenon with halo

LED with halo

http://www.deltalights.com/~deltalig/?q=store#!/c/2060180/inview=product37313775&offset=0&sort=normal

So because HID's and LED's are so expensive, I'm leaning more towards the Firewire LED's kit or the Delta xenon with a halo. Can't really decide tho.

Any experiences with these 2 product families or a seperate set that is very good and cheap is appreciated. Again, I'm only researching and these are the 2 I like so far.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline enaberif

Re: Modest not Outrageous Headlight Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
I wouldn't use LEDs for a daily driver at all. LEDs are better for offroad vehicles or temporary use as their falloff really sucks.

If you want to upgrade your headlights upgrade to H4 housings get a couple of relays and some wiring and you'll be well under $100-150 by the time your done.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:19:39 AM »

I wouldn't use LEDs for a daily driver at all. LEDs are better for offroad vehicles or temporary use as their falloff really sucks.

If you want to upgrade your headlights upgrade to H4 housings get a couple of relays and some wiring and you'll be well under $100-150 by the time your done.

What do you mean by "their falloff really sucks"? What is the "falloff"?

I'm considering getting the relay harness kit also, the Firewire's are H4 housings, the LED bulb kit for them is extra so I could put a Xenon bulb in them or some kind of better halogen like those offered by Sylvania.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline enaberif

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:39:10 AM »

What do you mean by "their falloff really sucks"? What is the "falloff"?

I'm considering getting the relay harness kit also, the Firewire's are H4 housings, the LED bulb kit for them is extra so I could put a Xenon bulb in them or some kind of better halogen like those offered by Sylvania.

Falloff is essentially the point where the headlight simply cannot project light anymore. We have come a long ways in the LED lighting area for vehicles but we still are not at a point where I feel they should be used in a daily vehicle.

This is why even just upgrading the wiring and putting in relays can dramatically change the stock output on our vehicles as is.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »
Ok so it's the distance from the front of the car where it can't push the light out anymore.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »
So I have made a decision on what lights, types of bulbs I want and how to upgrade the wiring.

I have decided when the time comes I will be purchasing the Delta Industries H4 conversion light kit with Xenon bulbs, part # 01-1149-50X.

For the wiring, I will be purchasing the Painless Performance H4 wiring harness kit, part # 30815.

The Delta housings are stated to increase light output by a 4:1 ratio with a stock type halogen bulb, with a Xenon bulb, the light output will be well above 4:1 over the stock sealed beams. This is exactly what I'm looking for, better than stock, reliable performance, fairly inexpensive and not super fancy but still impressive.

If anyone notices a flaw in my plan, please let me know! Thanks all!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:52:54 PM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »
Don't get the bulbs with the blue filter over the glass!  It gives a higher color temperature which tricks your eye into thinking there is more light, but in reality there is less light available.  The blue cover filters out some of the light!

Also, keep in mind that the bulb lifetimes are rated at 12.8 Vdc.  If you relay them you will get basically full alternator voltage at say 14.2 Vdc.  that 10% increase in voltage cuts the lifetime of the bulb by 60%!, but you will see an increase in Output by about 40%.  Average lifetime is like 600-700 hours I think for a H4 bulb.  You might expect 240-280 hours.  It just depends on how much you use your headlamps.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:07:01 PM by ehjorten »
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
Interesting. I never thought about that. I have had my truck for about 5-6 years now,never had to replace a headlight. Does that equal 6-700 hours in some way? I've done alot of night time driving in those past 5-6 years. I'm not sure if a Xenon bulb has blue filter over it or if that's just a "representative image" from what I've read, xenon is the gas inside, not the blue stuff on the glass. If not those then what? Back to the original question, led? Hid?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »
Even though the blue capsules filter out the warmer end of the spectrum, I don't think you would be disappointed with the Hella Optilux XB 100/80 H4 bulbs.  The bulbs burn hot and are best suited to all glass or glass and aluminum housings. 

...And, you'll need to be conscientious with the headlamp adjustment. lol
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline BBM3

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »
I suggest you check this site before you buy: http://www.danielsternlighting.com

A proven option you might consider:
CIBIE 7 inch Headlamps
OSRAM 85/80 Watt Rallye bulbs
Relays

I've used CIBIE's for ~35 years. They are fantastic.
They are legal. Not with the bulbs bd or I suggested however when properly aimed you will not PO oncoming traffic.

I looked at the Delta "DOT" lamps on website you posted above and I do not see any DOT, SAE, or ECE/EEC approval markings on the lens.
Before you buy I would ask Delta for a copy of their approval documents or at very least confirm that the lenses are marked.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 02:17:42 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll do some looking around on both links.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline harcorshe

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 11:38:35 AM »
Anxious for the resulting consensus on this question.

Assuming a similar budget, do you think the Painless harness is worth the cost? It seems that the attraction of "Painless" is the fact that its products are  customize-albe and vehicle-specific. Here, however, it is more of a "universal" kit. So, you are paying for wires and relays??

Are the Cibie 7" available on the internet?

Then, its just a matter of getting a bulb that's "street legal"??

.... and figuring out how to do something about the instrument cluster lighting.

'78 K20
TH400
14 Bolt
205 Transfer Case

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Anxious for the resulting consensus on this question.

Assuming a similar budget, do you think the Painless harness is worth the cost? It seems that the attraction of "Painless" is the fact that its products are  customize-albe and vehicle-specific. Here, however, it is more of a "universal" kit. So, you are paying for wires and relays??

Are the Cibie 7" available on the internet?

Then, its just a matter of getting a bulb that's "street legal"??

.... and figuring out how to do something about the instrument cluster lighting.

Painless is the best in the business, when it comes to complete ready to go harnesses, whether they are custom or specific. Painless is worth the cost if you plan on rewiring an entire vehicle or keeping it for a long time. However you don't have to pay full price, some sites, ebay, amazon, some others you can find new product for much less then the normal sources like summit or jegs.

I personally was going to source amazon for a painless harness.

Anything is available on the internet.

Lighting as with many other products on cars have strict safety requlations, so its better to use DOT approved equipment.

The instrument cluster has a few different ways to make it brighter. Aftermarket gauges, replacing your old faded lens and reflector plate with clean, clear new ones, LED back light bulbs. There are other threads here about this, search around for them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:09:11 PM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 09:11:56 AM »
im going to say this. i was intimidated when i realized i had to rewire my engine wire. after talking it over with a couple people its not that hard if you just pay attention to what youre doing
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »
True, wiring isn't hard, I could do it. I was looking for the simplicity factor of a plug and play install. Just didn't feel like building a harness, getting all the proper size wires and connectors and relays.

The lazy bone is connected to the money bone and the money bone is connected to the pre-made parts bone.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:28:33 AM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20