General Site Info > General Discussion

My thoughts on discontinuing the v-6 in new trucks.....

(1/2) > >>

Stewart G Griffin:
As you may know, i'm a 6 cyl fan.   But unbiasedly speaking, i think GM discontinuing the v-6 in trucks is not a good move:

1) You need at least 6 cylinders  in a fullsize truck.  4cyls doesn't  "feel" right.    A 4 cylinder is all right, even ideal in a smaller truck, like the Colorado.   So, from at least a marketing standpoint, not a good move.

a) But from a practical standpoint, the 4.3 v-6 still makes more torque and has a higher tow capacity than the turbo 4.   Isn't torque more important in a truck?   Also, the new 4.3 shuts down and runs on 4 cylinders anyway under highway cruising because of the displacement on demand (DOD) system.

2) The vans will continue with the 4.3, but if the pattern repeats itself------the astro and fullsize vans continued with the gen 1 4.3 while the trucks got the new LV3 4.3. But then the old 4.3 was discontinued in 2015.   Following that pattern,  then this new LV3 4.3 will be dropped from the vans as well?

VileZambonie:
You won't have to worry about V-Anything soon enough. Everything will be electric or hybrid. Did you see the new gm logo? That should paint the picture of where they are going, and lately, all gm does is fails to keep up with Ford, Ram, and Toyota unfortunately.

Stewart G Griffin:
i'm not getting it;  At the silverado website the turbo 4 has the lowest tow capacity of them all---well lower than the v-6.   Maybe the turbo gets too hot?

The turbo 4 does have higher hp and tq numbers than the v-6, but maybe the v-6's torque curve is flatter?

Stewart G Griffin:
UPDATE:

Nope, i was looking at the 2020 page.   For 2021 the turbo 4 (supposedly....) has a 9300lbs tow capacity vs. the v-6's 7900lbs.

In that case, it MIGHT make sense to drop the 6.........

Stewart G Griffin:
Just some more food for thought:

i was at a traffic light today (accidentally went to work because i forgot today was a holiday :-[), anyways, at the light, there was 8 crossovers, i was the only truck (my colorado) and one "regular" car---a camry or equivalent.

And, not to be prejudicial, but i'm pretty sure the type of people who are buying crossovers don't give a toss about number of cylinders.    Just as long as it moves, they're good.

Truck buyers, on the other hand, DO care about number of cylinders.   That's why i feel, from a marketing standpoint especially, but possibly even a performance standpoint, eliminating the v-6 is a bad move.

If i could also update on my findings about tow capacity:
Nothing has apparently changed with the actual engines from last years model, but somehow, magically(?), the tow capacity for the turbo 4 went up 2,200 lbs for 2021???

The v-6 DOES NOT make more torque than the turbo 4 as i had previously thought.   It would be interesting to see the actual torque curves for each engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version