Author Topic: Blinkers work, brake lights won't  (Read 1005 times)

Offline chevykid

Blinkers work, brake lights won't
« on: June 13, 2022, 04:01:51 PM »
Hey everyone,
I recently restored my 1974 chevy k10, and I took the bed off a while ago. After putting it back on, I replaced all tailight bulbs and now my blinkers on both sides work but my brake lights do not. There's power at the brake light fuse but when the pedal is pressed nothing happens. Ive been trying to trace the problem for a couple days but I'm a little lost and not sure what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: Blinkers work, brake lights won't
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 05:37:22 PM »
First thing is to check the bulb for correct part number. 1156 only has one filament and the 1157 has two. The wrong bulb will cause the type problems you are referring to. The check power at the bulb connector when the brake is pressed. Inspect your brake light switch as well.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline chevykid

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 10:06:30 AM »
Thank you very much, I checked and I do have the correct bulbs, guess I get to start chasing some wiring haha.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 11:04:02 AM »
First, make sure the bed and rear lamps are properly grounded.  Next, physically remove the brake lamp fuse to inspect the fuse socket for corrosion (a common problem).  Make sure the metal end caps of the fuse are not loose on the glass tube and that the fuse element is not cracked.  Once the fuse and fusebox are physically verified, check for power to and through the brake light switch with the brake pedal depressed.  Brake circuit power passes from the brake lamp switch up the steering column into the turn signal switch, so validate the brake lamp circuit connection through the turn switch harness connector along the right side of the column.  If brake lamp power is available to this point, replace the turn signal switch.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Scott91370

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 09:40:16 AM »
If you have power at the fuse the next place is the brake switch for power in to and out of.

After that it's time to chase wires.

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 03:04:26 PM »
I had this same problem on my 76 Cheyenne but only on one side and it was the turn signal switch, got a new one from Amazon and all good now!
Graham