Author Topic: Bought a truck found some wires that were just cut. Quite a few.  (Read 7528 times)

Offline The-Pagemaster

Here is 2 pictures of the first set. It got dark out so i will get some more pictures and edit them into the post tomorrow.

http://imgur.com/a/g5CNt

These went through the firewall but I have no idea what they would have connected to. One of them is a hose. The hose does go to some sort of switch on the break pedal.

I did trace one of the wires and it connected to this box that I think goes to the vehicle speed sensor.

1986 c10
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:49:19 PM by The-Pagemaster »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Bought a truck found some wires that were just cut. Quite a few.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:41:52 PM »
That's the vacuum dump hose and electrical harness for the cruise control.  For an 86 or newer vintage, the cruise control servo mounts on a bracket at the left rear corner of the intake manifold.  Inside the truck, that harness plugs into the cruise module, a small black box containing a circuit board that mounts to the "convenience center" above the accelerator pedal.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:07:27 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline The-Pagemaster

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
cool Thanks. I will try to get some more pics up tomorrow of the other cut wires.   What is this "convenience center"?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »
'Convenience Center' is the crazy name GM gave the mounting location for the cruise control module, the key warning/seat belt buzzer, and emergency flasher.  It's a small plastic chassis that attaches to the inside of the firewall right above and slightly left of the accelerator pedal mount.  Some techs refer to it as the 'electrical center.'  If you still have the cruise control assembly, you may be able to procure a new OEM service connector from ACDelco; or find the missing parts you need from the junk yard.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline The-Pagemaster

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »
Here are some more. If you need better pictures let me know. Or need help on color identification.

http://imgur.com/a/eiwQj#0

Offline velojym

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
Dontcha just *love* those butchers with their hack-n-slash techniques? (rhetorical question...)
 :o

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
Here are some more. If you need better pictures let me know. Or need help on color identification.

http://imgur.com/a/eiwQj#0

Based on where it exits the bulkhead connector, the dark green wire looks like the coolant temperature sensor lead for the dash gauge or light (ckt 35). 

Can you post an image of the bulkhead connector with the wires in question spread apart so we can clearly see which cavity each wire exits?  Three of the wires you've pictured are close enough in color that we need your help describing the wire colors and any associated stripes.

Is the vehicle far enough along that you can safely connect battery power?  Do you have a test light?
Rich

Offline The-Pagemaster

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »
The vehicle runs. I have been driving it to work everyday sense i got it. I have a test light. I can get a closer picture. The reason im trying to find out what these loose wires do is to get rid of any I dont need and fix the ones I do. I hate seeing all these darn things hanging everywhere.  There is an aftermarket water temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and ammeter installed where all the factory gauges use to be on the left side of the instrument cluster.

Ill post more pictures within the hour.

Offline The-Pagemaster

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »
http://imgur.com/a/rU7nd

I put descriptions for each picture in the album. If you have any questions let me know. Or need another picture.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »

The following are "best guesses..."

Pics 1 & 2)  The pink and black pair connect to the windshield washer motor.

Pic 3)  The left, lower orange wire may feed the dome & cargo lamps.

Pic 4)  The brown wire connects to the oil pressure sender (OPS) for the factory dash gauge.  If the green wire is the same green wire as the one in Pic 5, it connects to the coolant temperature sender (CTS) for the factory dash gauge.

Pic 5)  The brown wire is the OPS lead for the oil gauge.  The green wire is the CTS lead for the temp gauge.  The blue - you'll need to trace under the dash.  Could the pink/white stripe actually be tan/white stripe? ???  Need further clarification on which cavity it exits.   The pink/black stripe is ignition feed to various solenoids around the engine compartment and the ECM (although it appears that the 10-amp fuse for that circuit is missing from the fuse box - check it with a test light).
Rich

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »
What engine/transmission did this vehicle ship with?
Rich

Offline The-Pagemaster

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
8CYL,5.0,GAS,3SPD

Thats all I know about the original motor tranny. Is that helpful?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »
8CYL,5.0,GAS,3SPD

Does it still have the 305 engine, emissions equipment, ECM, etc?
Rich

Offline The-Pagemaster

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
From what i was told in another thread i made here the current engine is: 1970 350 engine 4 bbl 300hp turbo 350. Not sure about the current tranny.

what emissions equipment? that round canister next to the radiator? it was disconnected I pulled it out yesterday. Im not sure about the ecm or where it would be located.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
So, all that's left on the engine is a PCV valve in one of the valve covers?

The following are "best guesses..."

Pics 1 & 2)  The pink and black pair connect to the windshield washer.

Pic 3)  The left, lower orange wire may feed the dome & cargo lamps.

Pic 4)  The brown wire connects to the oil pressure sender (OPS) for the factory gauge.  If the green wire is the same green wire as the one in Pic 5, it connects to the coolant temperature sender (CTS) for the factory gauge.

Pic 5)  The brown wire is the OPS lead for the oil gauge.  The green wire is the CTS lead for the temp gauge.  The blue - you'll need to trace under the dash.  Could the pink/white stripe actually be tan/white stripe? ???  Need further clarification on which cavity it exits.   The pink/black stripe is ignition feed to various solenoids around the engine compartment and the ECM (although it appears that the 10-amp fuse for that circuit is missing from the fuse box - check it with a test light).

Pics 4 & 5)  Since you're no longer using the factory dash gauges, you can dispense with the brown and the green wires.

Pic 5)  You probably no longer have a need for the pink/black wire (unless you think you might need low-current ignition power for something later).  I still need feedback on the 'pink with white stripe.'
Rich