Author Topic: Clear plastic fuel filter  (Read 2084 times)

Offline 86chevytrk

Clear plastic fuel filter
« on: December 23, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »
Ok so, I have a 85 c20 with a stock 350. I removed the quadrajet and installed a edelbrock 1406. I installed a Holley fuel pressure regulator with a mechanical pressure gauge. The filter is between the regulator and the stock mechanical fuel pump. I dialed it in and it runs pretty good I guess. While adjusting the fuel pressure the gauge bounces. I figured the pump was causing this but also noticed  that the filter was throbbing. It looks scary like it’s gonna explode. I bought a metal one just in case but wanted to ask if anyone else has seen this? It seriously looks crazy. Like a horror movie or something. Please chime in if you’ve seen this before. Thanks

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Clear plastic fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 08:24:42 PM »
Buy a clear face shield, as opposed to one that is not see through and take a video of it, PLEASE!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline 86chevytrk

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »
Ha. Really though It looks like a heart beat. The fuel looks clean. The bubble moves around with it too. I’m a little crazy too and have put like 50 miles on it like that. Mostly around town. It’s not a daily driver. Just dump runs and Home Depot once. iVe showed it to some old timers and they say “at least it’s not a glass one cuz those are known to burn vehicles to the ground. But that doesn’t make me feel any better. I’ve also asked if it’s possibly the pump failing maybe? They said no not really. That the pump is known to do that. Plus, they said “ your still alive right? That should count for something. Ha I wanna change the filter to the metal one I have but thought I’d share it just to see what people think about it.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 09:01:51 PM »
What is the fuel pressure according to the gauge?  If the needle pulses, over what pressure range?  Is the fuel filter restricted or installed backward?  Does the regulator have a return port?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 86chevytrk

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 10:36:23 PM »
The needle bounces from 8-4 psi. The regulator does not have a return. The filter is installed correctly per the arrow that says “to carb”. Kinda dummy proof ha. It’s a cheapy Holley regulator from AZONE. Enters from the bottom and has two exits on top. I installed a plug on one side and “aimed” the other towards the carb. I did read somewhere that it’s good practice to put the regulator directly after the pump. I guess this is to reduce the throbbing maybe? I installed mine with a bracket attached to one of the valve cover bolts. This was to have access to adjust. Basically I cut the steel fuel line that snakes up the block sort of behind the alternator, installed rubber hose to the filter then to the regulator. From there I installed rubber hose to the gauge then to the carb.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 11:18:55 PM »
Temporarily remove or bypass the regulator to see how the pressure gauge responds.  Where did you mount the gauge?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 86chevytrk

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 11:30:41 PM »
The gauge is between the regulator and the carb. I’ll give that a try and see what happens. I’ll post results when I can

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 07:15:04 AM »
The filter should be after the regulator. Relocate it.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 86chevytrk

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »
I kinda think running trash through the regulator isn’t a good idea but I’ll try anything anything at this point.

Offline 86chevytrk

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 10:15:17 AM »
So I tried moving the filter around. Right after the regulator and before the carb. I needed to extend the rubber fuel hose from the steel line to directly to the regulator. I didn’t feel comfortable about this. #1 the hose was throbbing. Not as bad as the filter but still enough to know this wasn’t good. #2 I don’t like the idea of rebuilding the regulator because trash plugging it up. I ended up moving back where it was. Nothing really seemed to eliminate the pulsating. So I ended up ditching the plastic and using a metal filter instead. I also replaced the fuel pump just to eliminate the possibility of it being the problem. Now the pulsing isn’t close the what is was before. So in the end I’ll just use a “see through” filter for diagnosing or inspection purposes only and run the metal one as a permanent solution.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »
Why are you running a regulator on a stock mechanical pump? It is unnecessary. Did you bypass it as suggested? "Trash" plugging up a 3/8" port with a 5lb spring sitting behind it is unlikely, unless you are getting really bad fuel from somewhere or have a rusty fuel tank coming apart. The fuel filter is designed to prevent debris from clogging the small orifices in the carburetor, hence why it should be before the carburetor inlet and after your pulsating regulator.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 86chevytrk

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »
My edelbrock doesn’t like anything over 6psi. Hence the regulator. The stock mechanical pump is way past that. I’m saving my lunch money for an ls swap anyway. I’m done with all this carburetor stuff. The truck runs good as is for the meantime. Thanks for all the help