Author Topic: quadrajet secondary adjustment  (Read 9066 times)

Offline bedwards

Re: quadrajet secondary adjustment
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 10:04:35 PM »
The truck has always pinged just barely at tip in. I've had it for 3 years now and got it with 19000 original miles. It still had the factory settings. I just always thought it didn't like today's gas. I have run Seafoam down the carb to try to de-carbon it.
I built the carb back then and drove it till last week when all of a sudden it wouldn't take the secondaries.
I just priced the transition to an Edelbrock carb and its ridiculous. All the add-ons to keep the egr, the cruise control, the air conditioner solenoid.
The Holley may be more initial money but less ad-ons so the total may not be much different.
I guess I could go with a rebuilt Quad but I wish I could make sure that its not something else before I drop the cash.
Know of anyone local Birmingham, Al. that could build my quad since its very low mileage?

Offline ron350

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 10:22:53 PM »
What part of town are you in.

I don’t rebuild carbs any more but I can check your work for you.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:38:08 PM by ron350 »
1975 C10 step side stock with 350 two bbl. & 350 trans.

Offline blazer74

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 02:33:13 AM »
Barring a mechanical issue unrelated another thing to check is the plastic 2ndary actuating cam that  lifts the rods. 2ndary rods not raising high enough can cause a lean condition. 
 You went lean on the secondary side causing your ping and dead spot all of a sudden. Something changed.
Your ADP is mostly for cruise condition on the primary side when high vac is present the rods are all the way down in the jets.
Lean Surging while cruising 2000-2500 rpm caused by the primary rods being too low, raising the ADP allows  more fuel on the   the primary side.
Also blow through your Poe holes carefully with carb cleaner and the red straw to see if the tubes are clear that you reinstalled.
The  tubes are also fed from the secondary fuel wells that are supplied with fuel from the main fuel bowl through a small orifice that can get clogged.

Offline bedwards

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 07:54:51 AM »
What part of town are you in.

I don’t rebuild carbs any more but I can check your work for you.

I live on the Warrior River but work in Fairfield weekdays

Offline bedwards

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 08:00:16 AM »
Barring a mechanical issue unrelated another thing to check is the plastic 2ndary actuating cam that  lifts the rods. 2ndary rods not raising high enough can cause a lean condition. 
 You went lean on the secondary side causing your ping and dead spot all of a sudden. Something changed.
Your ADP is mostly for cruise condition on the primary side when high vac is present the rods are all the way down in the jets.
Lean Surging while cruising 2000-2500 rpm caused by the primary rods being too low, raising the ADP allows  more fuel on the   the primary side.
Also blow through your Poe holes carefully with carb cleaner and the red straw to see if the tubes are clear that you reinstalled.
The  tubes are also fed from the secondary fuel wells that are supplied with fuel from the main fuel bowl through a small orifice that can get clogged.

The plastic actuator is there and working. I blew cleaner and compressed air in the tubes when I had it off last Friday. The smaller tubes with the orifice were much harder to tell if they were open but I believe they are. I did bend the metal holder for the metering rods putting it back together like an idiot but I got them back like they were. That wouldn't explain the sudden loss of secondaries before I worked on it Friday. Is the metal holder adjustable?

Offline ron350

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
Bedwards I am in Roebuck but I will be glad to look at the carb if there is no one closer.

I wish Blazer74 lived in town every thing he has said is spot on.

Offline bedwards

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
I just read an article on how to adjust the secondary hangers and what measurement. I guess that's next.

Offline bedwards

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
Bedwards I am in Roebuck but I will be glad to look at the carb if there is no one closer.

I wish Blazer74 lived in town every thing he has said is spot on.

I appreciate that. If it comes down to it I will take you up on it.

Offline ron350

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2020, 12:36:52 PM »
I might help if you posted a few pictures of your carb.

Offline bedwards

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »
how do I save pictures. I was going to up load some of my spark plugs last night and couldn't resize them small enough to post.

Offline ron350

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2020, 03:40:15 PM »
See if this works
Click on :
Attachments And Other Articles (near the bottom of the page.)
Browse
Find the picture on your computer and double click on it. Or click once and click open.
Then paste your text.

Offline blazer74

quadrajet secondary adjustment
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2020, 03:40:41 PM »
Yes the hangers can be tweaked for the secondary they also have different letter codes for different heights Hangers.
41/64 If I recall correctly the measurement for that and it’s considered a performance hanger. (A) hanger would be the highest (K) hanger would be lower. The secondary rods also have letters on them to designate size.
I would put your secondary door spring pension back to factory specs and bend that hanger Tabs
just a little bit to raise your rods up a bit see what that does.
Take measurements at your starting point so you can always go back.
Use the holes where the rods attach for measurements to the air horn with the hanger in it’s full up position.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:48:23 PM by blazer74 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2020, 04:18:55 PM »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »

My version of "Save As", or "Take Pics" 8)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline bedwards

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2020, 05:45:34 PM »
Yes the hangers can be tweaked for the secondary they also have different letter codes for different heights Hangers.
41/64 If I recall correctly the measurement for that and it’s considered a performance hanger. (A) hanger would be the highest (K) hanger would be lower. The secondary rods also have letters on them to designate size.
I would put your secondary door spring pension back to factory specs and bend that hanger Tab that rides on the cam just a little bit to raise your rods up a bit see what that does.

this is what I am trying next, today was just to rough at work to come home and mess with it  =]