Author Topic: Vaccum leak in carb?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline zacksmith03

Vaccum leak in carb?
« on: February 21, 2020, 07:19:30 PM »
So today I decided to go offroading because I haven't in a while. Eventually I got stuck at the top of a hill because my front tires had dropped into a huge rut at the top of the hill, and I had high centered it. Anyways, the truck was sitting like that facing uphill for a good 1/2 hour. When I finally got unstuck, I started the truck and now it runs like crap at an idle. If I get on it it runs fine. I tried adjusting the fuel screws and the idle speed, to no avail. For a while, I could see bubbles coming into the clear glass fuel filter,which was about 1/3 full at the time. I thought that once I got the air out of the system and the filter was full again, everything would be back to normal. I was wrong. There aren't any vacuum leaks on the outside of the carb, I made sure. But, I can hear a new loud vacuum sounding noise coming from inside the carb, which is an edelbrock 1405 btw, sitting on a sbc 350. Haven't had any problems until now.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Vaccum leak in carb?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
from someone who has done some mudding, it sounds like you have sucked some junk up in the carb. prob a good time for a rebuild, but wait till others chime in before you take it apart
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:05:14 AM »
Is your fuel tank properly vented? Remove the gas cap and see if it changes anything. Also check your fuel level and if okay, pull the airhorn off, check the fuel bowls for gunk, check the float settings.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline zacksmith03

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 07:34:38 PM »
So after much examination, i realized my distributor didnt look quite right. Touched it, and it moved lol. Apparently the nut had come loose and the timing was thrown off, making the engine run terrible, and apparently making the whirring noise in the carb? Idk, but after retiming the engine, it's back to running as good as new. Now to buy a new steering box. Great. These trucks really like to drain a guy's wallet sometimes 😂