Author Topic: Step Side Fender Welting  (Read 2859 times)

Offline wideboots

Step Side Fender Welting
« on: April 07, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
I am about to start another new task on the restoration of my 1978 Chevy 1/2 ton step side truck. 8)    I will soon be getting the truck back from the paint shop.  It will be coming back to me in parts.  That is, the bed will be in parts and I will have to assemble it at home and then install it on the truck.  The new oak wood for the bed is finished with four coats of varnish, and it is beautiful.  I put everything together before I took it to the paint ship to insure it all worked together and then took it all apart again before taking it to the shop.  Everything fine there.  I bought some "fender Welting" for the step side fenders.  What is the proper way to install this welting?  I have never done this before.  The welting seems to be a good idea to keep the metal of the fender and bed side from rubbing tobether.  Should last longer that way and keep the dredded rust at bay.  The welting is 1 3/4" wide, it has a 1/4" bead, is 1/16" thick, and is black in color.    Now, can someone tell me how to get the welting on while not scratching up the new paint?  What about the corners where it wraps around the curve of the fender?   I intend to enter the truck in a few shows when finished so I want it to look sharp.  Any help will be appreciated.  8o      

Edited by: wideboots at: 4/7/06 5:09 pm

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Re: Step Side Fender Welting
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
If the welting has an adhesive strip on it I'd say that your best bet would be to apply to the wheel arch first, then set in place. If it doesn't, you can get a tube of yellow snot, (3M trim adhesive) and apply it to the welting then set it in place.
All depending on how flexible the welting is, you may have to tape it to the arch till the adhesive is set.

JayTater

Z28 C10