Author Topic: Transmission Shifter hitting ignition  (Read 2227 times)

Offline chrisjgilmore

Transmission Shifter hitting ignition
« on: May 11, 2019, 08:36:35 PM »
ok, I'm new here and I have run into a few hiccups on my restoration. I have a 1984 Chevy Silverado K10.

When I go to shift the transmission out of Park the shift lever hits the ignition switch and key. I removed the shifter pin and handle and I don't see any excessive wear. Any guidance on what I can do as far as making adjustments to keep this from happening or do I need to find a straight shifter bar somewhere and if so any suggestions?

Also, the shift indicator was broken and when I look under the column to find the place to attach the cable on the new shift indicator it is not visible.... Can anyone point me towards a good how-to for this as I'm very visual?

on a side note, this was in my glove box. I have looked through my Haynes manual and can't figure out what it is although I know it has something to do with the vacuum system.

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Transmission Shifter hitting ignition
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:05:59 PM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Chevy Guy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:23:18 PM »
Can't help with the shiftier hitting the ignition switch.

Using this forum and being you said your visual, using search engines will help you a lot in repairs, using your favorite search engine, copy and paste Fixing Shift Indicator (P N D 2 1), Late 1980's to Early 1990's Chevy Chevrolet GMC in the search box and look for a video showing what you need for the shift indicator.

On the vacuum device, it's been 40 years or more since I've seen one, and sure they changed the design over the years, but this looks like it is a vacuum motor for the exhaust manifold heat riser dampener found on the very back of the right exhaust manifold, when the engine is cold it directs hot exhaust air up through the intake manifold to help it idle better till it warmed up.

If i'm mistaken on this, someone may be along and correct me, then we both will learn something

Offline chrisjgilmore

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 10:55:10 PM »
Well that was fruitful!
https://youtu.be/vmVCuwI70Hs

Any other pearls of wisdom?

Offline chrisjgilmore

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »
Well after watching that video and a few others that popped up I found I had a broken detent spring under the shifter.

Now I just need to find a new one!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 02:54:49 PM »

Recirculation door vacuum motor and mounting bracket for the HVAC system.  It mounts to the righthand kick panel below the dash to open/close the recirc door.  See #26 & #17 in the parts diagram, below.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline chrisjgilmore

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »
Wow, thank you, that is a pretty detailed breakdown. Where can I find that manual?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 03:13:13 PM »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline chrisjgilmore

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
Thank you!