Author Topic: What lowering shocks?  (Read 18532 times)

Offline theblindchicken

Re: What lowering shocks?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 09:59:28 AM »
For the record, all the trucks originally came Spring Over Axle. Yours has been converted to Spring Under Axle. Not sure about the spring pack, but the mounts and shackles are stock. Also have a c notched frame to clear. Couldn't tell if the bumpstops were removed or not.

Front is probably spindles and coils.

Typically, the longer shock you can run, the smoother it will ride. For example, a 10" travel shock (5 up/5 down) compressing 2" can be softer than a 6 or 8in travel shock. But, it all depends on the shock specs. If its got a high dampening rate, itll be stiffer on little bumps, but larger ones will soak. Low dampening would be exactly the opposite, soaks for little bumps, would be bouncier on big bumps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline Kane Bonkers

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »
Does anybody know the overall length of the dropshocks?  On my 85 Burb I have 11 3/4" mount to mount on the front and 14" on the rear.  What length shock do I need?
Thanks

Offline robzkombi

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
Resurrecting this post from the dead.
I have a lowered '74 with a rear flip kit and stock rear shocks with shock extenders, I want to purchase lowered shocks for the rear to see if it will make a difference in ride quality. Before I decide on what brand to go with, I'd like to know if it is recommended to keep the shock extenders in place to help with the angle or just go without. Also, what shocks do you guys have and are happy with?

Thanks.

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »
Just FYI . If you plan to order belltech drop 2 shocks for your lowered truck, make sure you
Tell them you want lowering shocks, not oem shocks. I just put front pt # 8005 lowering shocks
On my 87 r10. They work good. Also, you can use stock shocks on rear if you use shock extenders,
Which I recommend.
Jerry

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 09:33:03 AM »
Resurrecting this post from the dead.
I have a lowered '74 with a rear flip kit and stock rear shocks with shock extenders, I want to purchase lowered shocks for the rear to see if it will make a difference in ride quality. Before I decide on what brand to go with, I'd like to know if it is recommended to keep the shock extenders in place to help with the angle or just go without. Also, what shocks do you guys have and are happy with?

Thanks.

Its pointless to go with lowering shocks if you have shock extenders, the whole point of the extenders is to keep the correct geometry of the suspension. If you want a better quality shock absober you cant go wrong with KYb gas adjust shocks.
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline robzkombi

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
I do have shock extenders on now with the stock shock, I was just unsure if it was recommended to use the shock extenders along with the shorter shocks. I will check out KYB's (stock length) and see if the ride is improved.

Thanks guys for your recommendations!

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
I do have shock extenders on now with the stock shock, I was just unsure if it was recommended to use the shock extenders along with the shorter shocks. I will check out KYB's (stock length) and see if the ride is improved.

Thanks guys for your recommendations!

are your bumpstop brackets removed, if they are not that will play a huge role in ride quality. You also have to remember lowered vehicles are going to ride different than factory height vehicles.
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp