Author Topic: No Fuel Delivery - Worn Fuel Pump Pushrod  (Read 1051 times)

Offline fatastronaut

No Fuel Delivery - Worn Fuel Pump Pushrod
« on: July 29, 2023, 12:58:04 PM »
'86 2WD shortbed, 350 5.7 with a 700R4, running an Edelbrock 1403 carb and OEM mechanical fuel pump. Truck had been running great, then it started bogging down on me especially when I tried to give it gas. Got worse and worse until it died in the middle of a drive. Seemed like the carb wasn't getting enough fuel so I pulled the pump off and notice the rod was ground down (see pic)

Crossed my fingers and hoped there was no damage to the cam lobe, put another rod in there and tried again. Eventually the same issue - slowly started getting worse and worse, now it won't start. Disconnected the line between the pump and the carb, cranked the engine - no fuel at all. Pulled the second rod out, and there was grinding on it too.

What are my options here? I don't love the idea of switching to an electric pump, but I don't have the money for a new cam right now, nor the space for any kind of engine work. Thanks in advance for any help.
take it easy, but take it

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
Re: No Fuel Delivery - Worn Fuel Pump Pushrod
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 02:16:46 PM »
It's cam or electric pump....sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline fatastronaut

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 10:27:59 AM »
Thanks for confirming my fears Shifty - I figured that was gonna be my only option. Someday down the road when I hit the jackpot, I can always return it to stock.

I can handle installing the fuel pump on the frame no problem, but I'm curious what to do about the return line?

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 11:31:54 AM »
If I was doing this, I would run a Holley red pump close to the gas tank as I could, and a fuel pressure regulator as close to the carb as I could, with the return/overpressure line back to the tank.  I've done this before, and on a few cars/trucks, I've had to experiment with the return line....I've had to reduce the diameter with a nitrous jet a couple times. 

If you get a pump that the pressure at the carb is around 5-7lbs, you can just dead-head it at the carb, and not run a return line, though this is not the preferred way IMHO.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 07:59:07 PM »
Sorry about your troubles mate.

Two thoughts on electric pumps: noise and heat

If you mount it solid to the frame the noise will annoy you. Isolate with rubber or neoprene.

Keep away or shield from exhaust heat or vapor lock will become an unwelcomed guest.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 06:52:55 AM »
Which end of the pushrod is getting chewed up? The fuel pump side or cam lobe side?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fatastronaut

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 08:27:46 AM »
Thanks for the help y'all.

Sorry about your troubles mate.

Two thoughts on electric pumps: noise and heat

If you mount it solid to the frame the noise will annoy you. Isolate with rubber or neoprene.

Keep away or shield from exhaust heat or vapor lock will become an unwelcomed guest.

Good tips! Thank you. Thinking I'll take Shifty's advice and mount the pump closed to the tank, the regulator close to the carb, and run a return line to prevent vapor lock. I'm in the South and it gets hot down here.

Which end of the pushrod is getting chewed up? The fuel pump side or cam lobe side?

Cam lobe side is the most chewed up, although there is a small bit of grinding on the pump side as well.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 04:48:56 PM »
Sounds like you have an oiling issue. You can measure the stroke of the pushrod and see if the lobe is wiped. You can also buy a borescope for your phone dirt cheap and look in there. On the face side of the block is there a bolt in there just above the pushrod boss?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10