Author Topic: Crankshaft pulley leaking? Slipping or burned?  (Read 3874 times)

Offline LSXCHEVY

Crankshaft pulley leaking? Slipping or burned?
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »
alright...this past Saturday getting truck ready for first road test...let idle in driveway for about an hour..(I fixed the idle problem, choke wire not hot)..everything looked good...oil pressure holding @ 20psi...took off down the road..no high rpm..just put a little load on engine...doing well...exhaust shop 3 miles from house... so I decided to keep going to shop so I can weld up longtubes to mufflers...had to stop suddenly at a light on the way and then oil pressure dropped to 0psi...pulled over ..killed it...checked oil level and for leaks...none...mechanical oil gauge jumps from 20 to 0 then back up..engine still running smooth so I started back up and went to muffler shop...sat there for 2 hours(another long story), when I started up truck I had just hooked up the 02 sensor so I was getting a reading....volts showed to be lo2 around 13 volts while running...normally at almost 15volts...so something was wrong from then...left muffler shop didn't get 1 mile engine started pinging..then knocking...as soon as I could pull over to gas station and pulled to the pump engine died...tried to start...started making a squealing almost metal on metal sound from front of engine...battery got too low...got another from orielly (warranty free)...put it on same thing...got it towed home...now stuck with this...saw a grey thick fluid seeping from front seal? its not oil...oil looks good on dipstick.. maybe the link ( http://youtu.be/kJsT0vuubKc )  to a short video might help....any advice would be appreciated...hopefully didn't spin a bearing...sorry to be so long winded but I have waited so long for this point, and to finally drive it and it fails...super disappointed   :( :'( :-[    but want to find the problem and get back on the road...

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
Re: Crankshaft pulley leaking? Slipping or burned?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:24:30 AM »
That looks like oil with aluminum mixed in,might have lost an oil pump

Offline LSXCHEVY

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:49:27 AM »
might have lost an oil pump

I will begin by pulling the pulley off and front cover...turn crank by hand to listen for sound....if oil pump went out ...the warranty should cover it...just bought that pump..

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
If it is the pump and everything else is ok,might make sure and prime it with a good assembly lube and then install making sure it is centered on crank

Offline LSXCHEVY

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:28:22 AM »
ive seen some guys just line it up at bolt in in and others have lined them up then put , I believe, 0.015 shims between gears and then tighten the bolts, says it prolongs life of pump?...how to prime LS without expensive pump...ive seen a few homemade ideas....some guys say to just start it..i didn't prime the first time but the pressure shot up too 60 or 70psi on first start up within a few seconds...

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »
I would recommend installing it with the shims around the gears.

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »
X2 Capt