Author Topic: About DANA  (Read 7364 times)

Offline valyidol

About DANA
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
I have on Suburban here such Axles. I think thet they DADA 44. My friend speaks, that they bad. The Axle Shaft can break and I'll lose a wheel. It is the truth?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:01:15 PM by valyidol »

Offline Engineer

Re: About DANA
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
Front is a GM corporate 10-bolt.

Rear is a GM corporate 9.5" semi-float 14-bolt.

And yes, if you break a rear axle, off comes the tire.

Neither axle that you have is made by Dana.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:51:50 PM by Engineer »
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
What Engineers said X2.

Both of those axles are built by American Axle Manufacturing for GM.
They are both very good axles for stock to 33" tall tires when used moderate to hard. They will handle 44" tall tires if you don't wheel the wee outa your truck.
I have broken axles in many 10 bolts, and their Dana counter part the Dana 44 plowing, and wheeling. But have also ran the heck out of them before they broke. If you break a front axle your wheel is not going to come off unless its such a catastrophic break that it takes out a ball joint, or two!
I just recently broke a rear axle in a semi float 14 bolt, but when I did it I had over 10,000 lbs. on a trailer behind the truck. I couldn't quite make a buddies muddy driveway, I got almost to the top of the hill and was just spinning, he hooked on with his K30 dump. When I let the clutch out it went bang. Oh yeah, the axle I broke I'm pretty sure was original, had over 230,000 miles on it.
You can break any axle if you put your mind to it.
What are your plans for this truck?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
     As both Engineer and Blazin said, yes those axles can break, but as Blazin said you can break any axle.  Are you planning on hard wheeling this truck ?  If not those axles should last you just fine. 
     Oh course as soon as you abuse them they more than likely will go.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline valyidol

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:14:54 AM »
What Engineers said X2.

Both of those axles are built by American Axle Manufacturing for GM.
They are both very good axles for stock to 33" tall tires when used moderate to hard. They will handle 44" tall tires if you don't wheel the wee outa your truck.
I have broken axles in many 10 bolts, and their Dana counter part the Dana 44 plowing, and wheeling. But have also ran the heck out of them before they broke. If you break a front axle your wheel is not going to come off unless its such a catastrophic break that it takes out a ball joint, or two!
I just recently broke a rear axle in a semi float 14 bolt, but when I did it I had over 10,000 lbs. on a trailer behind the truck. I couldn't quite make a buddies muddy driveway, I got almost to the top of the hill and was just spinning, he hooked on with his K30 dump. When I let the clutch out it went bang. Oh yeah, the axle I broke I'm pretty sure was original, had over 230,000 miles on it.
You can break any axle if you put your mind to it.
What are your plans for this truck?
My plans for this truck - long travel on highway with family and luggage, driving in mountains, sometimes  muddy driveway, driving on country roads. Sometimes with a trailer.
What axles is better for these objectives? 14 bolt?

Offline valyidol

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:48:23 AM »
If I'll put on these axles of a wheels 34-35 ' will it they sustain?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »
its nothing to lose sleep over. unless you have a 14 bolt ff just sitting with matching gears
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline valyidol

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »
its nothing to lose sleep over. unless you have a 14 bolt ff just sitting with matching gears
That is I can sleep easy, isn't it?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »
They will be fine for what you are doing as long as they are in good working order now. Check the axle, and pinion seals for leaks. If they are not leaking I would drain the gear oil, and refill with fresh for piece of mind.
If they are install new seals and fresh fluid.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 06:14:15 AM »
     As Blazin said, if that is all you are planning on doing with your truck, your axles should be fine.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline valyidol

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »
Thanks! And what about Weels 34-35'?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 06:49:37 AM »
Thanks! And what about Weels 34-35'?

You mean tires ?  I do not remember if you said if it has a lift or you plan on a lift or you are leaving stock ?  If stock, 34" or 35" will more than likely hit the fenders when you turn into say a uneven driveway or parking lot entrance where your vehicle will lean to one side.  33" tires do this on my k10 when it was stock, the springs were probably a little worn though. 
     Just be prepared for this if you put bigger tires on.  I believe stock tires where in the 31" - 32" size.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
Those axles will handle 35" tires, but not if you do any hard core wheeling. Trail riding they will live.

As Bake said if you don't have a lift 33X12.5s will slightly rub the fenders when you turn and drive over uneven surfaces. 33X9.5s would fit without rubbing unless you completely compressed the suspension while turning the wheel hard.