Author Topic: Hood hinges  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
Hood hinges
« on: January 16, 2021, 03:20:12 PM »
Quick question, should the hood hinges hook under the pins on the top of the fire wall? Mine don't and the rear of the hood sits above the top of the wings, the pins don't seem to be adjustable front to back so the hinges would need to move back, I've tried loosening the bolts to the inner wing but didn't have any success getting them to move with the hood attached.
I will be stripping the front end for paint at some point so wondered if there's a procedure for getting it right when I build it all up?
Thanks
Graham

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hood hinges
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 06:13:54 PM »
Quick question? lol I read it 3 times and still have no idea what you are talking about. Pix? What are you working on?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 04:33:01 PM »
'76 C10, when I close the hood the rear pops up above the fender edge, looking at the hinges there seems to be a forked feature which could hook under the pins on top of the firewall which would stop this happening but as the hood closes they don't quite meet the pins.
I'll try to get some pictures if the wind and rain eases a bit tomorrow.
Graham

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 05:15:54 PM »
The bolts on the cowl are designed to keep the hood from coming into the cab and slicing your head off in a frontal collision. They have nothing to do with your sprung hood. You need to replace the hood hinges to resolve the issue.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 09:53:07 AM »
Thanks that makes sense, I did wonder if it was the hinges as there is quite a bit of play in the pivots and the pop up is worse on one side than the other.
Graham

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »
Managed to sort the problem at no cost! Found a post here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=129394 which explained the procedure, I didn't bother to remove the springs and it worked a treat, nice and level now, I also straightened out a bit of a bend I had in the passenger side of the hood with a stout piece of timber and a clamp to get it back in shape.
Really impressed with the results, gaps all good and lines up back and front, only hope it all lines up after I've had it apart for repairs and paint!
Graham