Author Topic: Jump start oops  (Read 28057 times)

Offline velojym

• Frequent Member
Re: Jump start oops
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
Who's name is Earl? The truck?

Yep, Earl Grey

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
Haha funny i like it. Gotta think of a name for my truck now. Something like... Beat up Sally.

Offline velojym

• Frequent Member
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »
Finally got to replace the battery and alternator today. Now the voltage on the dash gauge isn't swinging with the rpms. It's inside the range above battery voltage, so it would seem to be charging, but I'm not entirely confident in an ancient stock dash gauge, so I'm gonna have to either fix my multimeter or find someone nearby with a proper tester.

Drove to the country club and back with no apparent issues, engine's running well, but now my driver side power window is completely inop, and with the temperatures we've been dealing with lately, those 10 minutes or so in my truck ended up with me being completely soaked in sweat. The only things I can imagine are: corrosion on a connection while the truck was sitting and/or critters took up residence somewhere in there, causing electrical problems. Given the weather, I'm going to have to move the windows up on my (ever so slow) list.

Offline velojym

• Frequent Member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »
Drat. Either I stripped the threads in the negative terminal of the battery, or it was already stripped when I bought it. Since I've changed hundreds of batteries in airplanes and a few dozen in ground vehicles, I don't think it felt like I cross threaded it myself, but that won't fly well at the parts shop.
So... I can get a slightly wider self tapping screw/bolt, or jam/melt a .50 cal lead ball (from mah muzzleloader) into the hole, and drill/thread it back to stock. I'm really kinda thinking the first option, at least for a while. I'm gonna have to gut the engine compartment at some point anyway, and when I do that, I'll be after a better battery anyway.

Drat again... when I was distracted by the boogered terminal, I forgot to re-attach the 12v, so Earl wasn't charging just now when I drove to the truck stop and back. I'll re-connect that tomorrow when it's light out. My brain has been mush lately. I'm in school for network engineering, so maybe my brain's just full, and I'll stick with that excuse for now.
Driving Earl again, though... even with the window up... was pretty awesome. I was really missing having a truck handy.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:34:44 PM by velojym »

Offline velojym

• Frequent Member
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »
Ahhh... charging again. Now Earl is back to being able to work near home, hauling the boat to the nearby lakes, mulch for the yard, etc. Still have a list of things to do, but it's nice to be able to drive my truck again.
In this heat, gotta get those windows fixed, still have to replace the cooling fan, and chase down an oil leak or three... among other things.