Author Topic: help! no brake lights n 82 lwb  (Read 20321 times)

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
help! no brake lights n 82 lwb
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
I have searched with no luck in finding a answer. Ive replaced my headlight switch and checked the brake switch. I have hazzards, tail lights, and signals, but no brake lights. Changed the bulbs and still nothing. Im thinking the issue is just before the brake switch itself. Where  in the truck does the brake switch get power from?

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
Re: help! no brake lights n 82 lwb
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »
How did you check the switch? In my 74 the brake switch gets power from either the  white or orange wires that hook into it. Ohm it out would be my suggestion. Also make sure its turning on when you step on the brakes.
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
Battery power comes from the fuse block on orange [ckt 140], then splits to the hazard flasher and brake switch.  If you have power to the brake switch on the orange wire, and power on the white wire at the brake switch [ckt 17] with the pedal depressed, your problem is probably in the turn switch.

If no power to the orange wire at the brake switch and your brake fuse is okay, then trace the orange wire from the switch back toward the splice mentioned above.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:30:33 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »
I tested the brake switch by bypassing it with jumper wires in the connector. Will check for voltage after work. Will report tonight. Thanks guys

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »
Ok guys, so I have  to the orange wire connected to the brake switch, but none on the white wire. Guess this means its in the t turn switch? Man I really would hate to have to take the steering column apart.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »
Ok guys, so I have [power] to the orange wire connected to the brake switch, but none on the white wire. Guess this means its in the t turn switch? Man I really would hate to have to take the steering column apart.

Hold up 454!!  You should only have power on the white wire from the brake light switch when the brake pedal is pressed.  The white wire feeds 12 volts to the turn switch

If the 'orange wire to' the brake switch is hot and the 'white wire from' the brake switch is dead when you push the brake pedal, then the 'brake switch' or the manner it's installed is your problem.

Try this:
Connect a test jumper (protected with a 20-amp breaker or fuse) between battery power and the white wire at the brake switch.  Check the operation of your brake lights.  Turn the key ON and check the operation of the turn signals.  (A) If the brake lights don't work, but everything else does, the turn switch is bad or there is a break in the 'white wire' leading to the turn switch (make sure the turn switch is completely plugged into the dash harness alongside the steering column).  (B) If the brake lights do work, the brake switch has a problem.

Note:  it's always possible that you have more than one issue.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
Ok this is weird. I unplugged the clear/white relay just  the fuse box. tapped it pretty hard and put it back ... Brake lights work??? I noticed when it was removed the drivers  side light lit up. Strangely the brake  lights  still work.  I do remember when I first got the truck that little clear/white relay would get hot.