Author Topic: 4 way flashers  (Read 3953 times)

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
4 way flashers
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
the flashers in my truck are on the column. The switch is gone and from what I can see, the part inside the column is either gone or has fallen way down inside. I was thinking it might be easier to wire up a toggle switch and mount it on the bottom of the dash. Who has done this and would be willing to share how I need to wire it up? Thanks!

Scott
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: 4 way flashers
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
     Do you mean you have the pull type on the column, like a round button ?  So the mechanism in the steering column is missing, and you still need to have it hooked up the the 4 way flasher unit under your dash.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:37 PM »
Bake,
Yes, that is the one. I was hoping to avoid tearing the column apart to get to the wiring. It looks like the part on the inside of the column is either gone or was broken off and fell down inside. Thanks!
Scott

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:34:22 AM »
     My guess is it broke and fell down, I have had to do that before.  I would suggest going through the steering column and checking it out since you have to take it apart to fix that button.  (when you do go to fix it)
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
Is there a way to bypass that button with a toggle switch under the dash? Taking apart the column is what I was trying to avoid. When the right opportunity comes up, I'd swap it out for a tilt column so I wasnt planning on putting alot of work into this one.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »
     I would look at your wiring diagram for the flasher circuit.  I would say yes, in either case (if it grounds at that switch or is just a switch that lets power, or ground complete a circuit), I would say if you isolate the wire (s) going to your flasher button on the column and wire in a different switch it would work the same until you can swap out steering column's.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom