Author Topic: best shocks for the best ride!?  (Read 4901 times)

Offline scrant

best shocks for the best ride!?
« on: June 23, 2002, 10:45:00 PM »
hey just wondering what you guys are running for shocks on a 81-87 lwb or swb for that matter...

thanks for any info!
anthony

Offline 83CHEVY

• Registered Users
Re: best shocks for the best ride!?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2002, 05:16:00 PM »
I have (4) heavy duty shocks in the front (quad shock option).  DON'T EVER DO THAT!!!  It rides like I welded all the suspension together.  I need to get some regular shocks for it.  What do you guys suggest?  I am after a nice soft ride for my 1/2 ton (that's why I got a 1/2 ton).

Mike

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Re: best shocks for the best ride!?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 11:04:00 PM »
HAHA!  83 sounds like me, I put ProComp ES9000s on the back of my S-10 when I put a ladder rack on it.  It fixed the body roll but I could have 200 lbs worth of toolboxes in the bed, 2 Werner extension ladder, the brake, and some sawhorses on the ladder rack and if I hit a rough interstate transistion they would bounce the rearend off the ground!  Too much shock for that truck, that was for sure.  I've got Skyjacker Nitro Softrides or something like that on my fullsize, they seem to ride pretty nice.  The 4" lift springs in the front don't help much though.  :)  

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | E-mail Me

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
duel shocks
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2002, 01:25:00 AM »
When I bought my 77 1/2 ton it had been converted to a duel shock set up.  Off they came.  When running duel shock the idea is that each one should have half the "absorbing" capacity as a single shock.  The reason for duel shocks is not to stiffen the ride, but, reduce heat in the shock and prevent shock fade.  Depending on what you use your truck for duel shocks may be a waste of money.

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
shocks
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 01:33:00 AM »
also, when I took my duel set-up off (I had the same problem, too stiff.  The preveous owner had two shocks made for single shock application) I put on Pro-Comp ES-3000.  Much better ride and not too expensive.  I had originally bought Ranco RS9000 for a six inch lift.  Came to find out when installing the front set they cam about 3 inches too short.  Guess what...Rancho does not make shocks for a six inch lift. So, if any one needs a set of RS-9000 (bought for 77 K10, see Ranco web sight for applications, fits 4" lift) let me know.

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
Re: shocks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2002, 08:59:00 AM »
I too put on dual Skyjacker nitros.  It is a rough ride, made worse by tall tires.  When yo add a lot of unsprung weight and high flotation, count on it.  Single hydros would suffice.

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60

Offline 81lwb350

well i made a decision
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2002, 11:24:00 AM »
went with the gabriel gas rider...

good smooth ride thanks for all yalls help!

oh i have chenged screen names since i have posted this the foirst time!

thanks guys
anthony