Author Topic: Mission Complete 1 ton conversion  (Read 2870 times)

TMW

Mission Complete 1 ton conversion
« on: September 14, 2002, 08:08:00 PM »
I needed a truck up grade for pulling my race car 2 hours one way to our favorite race track. Due to budget restrictions a new truck is out of the question, i needed a 3/4 or 1 ton for this The car, the open 16ft trailer, and  all of our equipment  weighs about 5500 lbs and i hope to have an enclosed trailer soon. I just finished converting my trusty 86 1/2 ton  chevy regular cab Silverado to a 1 ton. The frame, body, and motor are in excelent condition. I installed all  1 ton suspension and brakes under it. It has cost me approx $1500  including new chrome wheels and tires and all new brakes, ball joints, bearings and seals front and rear. After being told "it was impossible" and "not worth it" and "a waste of time" It is complete and for a lot less money than buying another truck. It took a little leg work and a knowledge of how suspensions work, but it can be done.  Just a word of encouragement to anyone who wants to upgrade with out the cost. TMW

Offline Eric 85K10

Re: Mission Complete 1 ton conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 08:36:00 PM »
sounds awesome, did you take suspension from an older beat up truck?

TMW

Mission complete
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2002, 08:02:00 AM »
Yes it all came from an 84 one ton 2wd nondualy, I had to cut the rear spring perches off and move them and reweld them on the rear end. I also had to replace the lower control arms due to the bigger ball joints but the upper control arms are the same, and also all the brakes just bolted rite on.