Author Topic: 700r4 pan drop question  (Read 2023 times)

Offline bedwards

700r4 pan drop question
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »
I have an 85 c10 with the 700r4. It is bone stock and although it is very low mileage, I wanted to get some of the 31 year old fluid out of it. I used the ACDelco 8657926 Professional Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Kit. The instructions said the filter was different than the original which it was. I had a very hard time getting the filter to seat far enough in to allow me to bolt the pan up. After several tries I pulled the filter out and the seal stayed in the transmission. I could see the seal right in the edge of the pump intake. I couldn't get the seal out with anything I had so I seated the filter tube in the seal and carefully gave it a shove back in. It finally felt like it seated and it was tight and didn't feel like it was loose when I tried to see if it had any play. This time the pan fit right up. Everything bolted up fine and the truck shifted just fine when I took it for a spin. I even tried it on a very steep hill and it pulled fine. There was no foam in the fluid or anything else to make me think something was wrong.
Now I wish I had waited till I could get something to fish that seal out and put it on the filter. How is that pump intake made? Is there something up in there for the seal to seat on or can you shove the seal up in the pump? Do you feel I need to pull all that back off and do it again or does the test drive tell me its not sucking air?

thanks in advance

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 700r4 pan drop question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »
so the seal was on the old filter and you removed them together and put a new one in with the seal and it came off?
Sorry trying to follow what is going on?

Offline bedwards

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
Yes, the old filter had an o-ring on it and it came out just fine. Also the tube on the old filter was a little longer than the new one. The new filter had an orange rubber seal instead of an o-ring. When I pulled the filter out the last time the new seal stayed in the edge of the pump intake. I fit the new filter back in the seal (which was still in the transmission intake) and gave it a good shove to finally get it seated. Hindsight, I wish I had fished the seal out and fitted it back on the filter and then tried to seat it.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »
You should be fine.  The newer design filter separates from the inlet seal when you remove the filter from the transmission.  The seal is subsequently removed with a shallow hook tool.  A major problem occurs when a newer design seal is abandoned in the pump inlet and a new filter and seal are installed against it.  Just remember to remove the old seal the next time you service the transmission before you install another new filter.  The newer design requires a stout shove to seat properly.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline bedwards

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:24 AM »
It drove like brand new today. I think its ok. Your right, it took a pretty good shove to get it seated finally. It is shaped differently and the intake is on the bottom instead of on top like the old one. I don't see how it could move because the pan it right against it. I don't like replacement parts that look different =[

thanks