Author Topic: Starter issue  (Read 1723 times)

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
Starter issue
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
Ok guys i have a 355 sbc and the starter outside bolt hole has broken off and i went and got a longer grade 8 bolt in its place and its been working for a while but today i went to start it up and sound like the starter is engaging the flexplate but jumping off. I have the starter brace on and its tight as well as the starter bolts. Im tored or every month i have to get under the truck and readjust the starter only to have to do it again. My question is i want to get a mini starter cause my block is drilled for both staggered  and inline starters. Can someone tell me will a inline bolt mini starter for a 168 tooth flywheel work
Gotta clean my back windshield cause I'm too busy kicking up dust

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Starter issue
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »
Yes
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
Staggered and inline configurations both rely on the outside bolt.  Why not use a compact starter drilled for both staggered and inline mounting, then use all three bolts supplemented by a rear support strap?  Look at the Summit Racing SUM-820323-OS offset mount starter.  The only con of using this starter is if you need to shim the starter, because of noise, and you are using all three mounting bolts, you will need to make your own 3-hole shims to avoid distorting and possibly cracking the aluminum drive support.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »
Dont really have that much money to spend on one that high but i might have to save up. I was thinking about the power house mini starter. Can i use all three bolt holes at the same time and b fine. What about the 80 dollars mini starters on ebay. Are they any good

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
I use all three bolt holes on mine, but I am very careful when tightening it down.  I had to fabricate 3-hole shims to attain the correct gear lash, which was a minor nuisance.  I can provide no feedback on the other starters.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »
What is exactly wrong with the hole?   Completely broken off?

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:25:59 AM »
The outside of hole is broken off but threads are still there but higher up in block which is the reason i bought a longer bolt.and it will work for a couple days then one day its back grinding and jumping off flywheel on startup