Author Topic: basic info please (what are the good engines and what engines to avoid?)  (Read 3139 times)

Offline p7387

• Frequent Member
hello:
i have no knowledge on diesel motors relevant to our 73-87 trucks. which are the good solid reliable motors and which are the lousy problematic motors to avoid? also what important "maintenance history" items should i be aware of? (glow plugs,pumps etc??) any particular problem years or models or any certain rare or desirable options?

my limited research to date indicates to stay away from the "Oldsmobile type motor" and to make sure certain key items and components were "properly maintained"

a few months back i saw a 86 4x4 for sale for about $3500, never got the particulars but is this a reasonable price?

any opinions are appreciated
thanks
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:25:16 PM by p7387 »

Offline Dirty Offio

This is something that will start arguments...but here is my OPINION.  (hopefully, anyone who disagrees will note the word in all caps!  lol)

The 5.7 litre diesel...good point, great on fuel.  Bad point, they do not last.  If you find a truck with one of these in it, I would be stunned.  Most of them have blown up and been replaced along time ago.

the 6.2 litre diesel.  Pretty dependable with routine maintenance.  (oil changes, filters, etc.)  I know a guy with 265K miles on his, still going strong.  I have 2, one of them has 135K on it an runs great.  They get pretty good mileage too.  Their only down side is that they are a low horsepower engine...so if you are looking to run tractor pulls or pull heavy trailers or something, pick a different engine.  People throw turbo kits on these, but it is really a waste of time.  You get a bit of a horsepower increase for higher fuel consumption and shorter engine life.  Again, this is my opinion.  (although,  I have been curious if a propane kit might help....)

6.5 liter.  Larger version of the 6.2, but beefed up to handle a turbo and higher horsepower.  If you are looking for more power, this is the cheap option.  (Duramax being the expensive one.)

Truly it depends on what you want to do with your truck with a diesel.  We have used our 83 (6.2L) to pull a 4 horse trailer with mixed results.  loaded with hay, on mostly flat roads, it did fine.  With 2 draft horses inside, it did ok, until we hit a hill, then it dropped from 60 to 20 MPH really quick.  I have a friend who has a 6.5 turbo, and his truck goes pretty dang good., even pulling his camp trailer up and down logging roads.

If you are looking for more power, here are 2 options.  1: find a duramax.  2, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yohoCqD2E .  That is a 6V-53T Detroit diesel out of a medium duty truck.  Totally cool!

Cheers!

Offio

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
kind of agree with dirty. if you want a good deisel go with duramax but even some of them have problems. like fuel pump problems is one that i know of. we are looking for a 12v 94-96? duramax manual fuel pump, not the best power but can be tuned up fairly easy
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes