Author Topic: 89 k2500 6.2 diesel problem  (Read 3066 times)

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
89 k2500 6.2 diesel problem
« on: November 08, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »
I've got a truck my father in law offered to give me, but its still on their farm 6 hours south of me, so I can't visually check anything out, I just want to bounce ideas off some other heads and see if anything obvious pops up before I pick it up next spring. Truck history: my wife's grandfather ordered it new for his business, and after some miles were racked up, sold it to my inlaws. Its an '89 GMC k2500 ext. cab, 6.2 diesel, 4l60 (last rebuild it got heavy duty clutches). Body is in fair shape, especially for having well over 300,000 miles. Motor has never been rebuilt, and runs pretty well. My father in law is a heavy equipment mechanic for Certainteed, and has given up on the truck due to a few issues..one he tried to fix for a few years, but never found the root of the problem. The other issues he decided weren't worth taking the time to fix, given that they had another, lower mileage truck with a 6.5TD and an E250 powerjoke van that never saw more than 500-1000 miles per year each.

Primary issue:
It leaks coolant on the front most crossmember. Can't find the leak, he's replaced the radiator and hoses three times and it has leaked every time. My thoughts are maybe the water pump OR the water pump backing plate seal, but there is no evidence of a leak anywhere else on the motor or frame. Any 6.2 experts have any insight?

Secondary issue: leaky metal fuel lines. There are *minor* fuel leaks due to rust along the steel fuel lines, not enough to really cause a noticeable loss of fuel, just a common diesel fuel smell and HARD starting after sitting for a day or two, as the lines, filter, water separator, etc have to be re primed with fuel. How challenging are the 88+ body style trucks to replace the steel lines?

Thanks in advance.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 89 k2500 6.2 diesel problem
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 11:07:41 PM »
lines are fun on any truck lol. got a 96 6.5td still working on problems with it. but the water pump has a weep hole on the bottom of it. it will leak when it need to be replaced. idk if its a seal or what that gives out but something does. from what i understand any leak in the fuel will cause problems with the truck running good, cause it cant keep fuel pressure up and will tend to suck air
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
Re: 89 k2500 6.2 diesel problem
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »
Sounds like the water pump may be plausible then, and IIRC is not awful to replace...I might have em order me a pump down there and just swap it real quick when I go down next spring to help build their new whelping house. This truck will become my tool hauler, allowing me to pull the boxes back off my 76 and use it for what I intended it for.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”