Author Topic: DRIVE LINE CHANGES  (Read 2403 times)

Offline KILLERC10

DRIVE LINE CHANGES
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:34:13 PM »
Whats up guys and gals! Im new to the forum and wanted to get some info from people. well i have a 84 shortbed that used to have a long stlye th400 with slip in yoke,now that took a dump on me and just picked up a th350 shorttail from jegs. what iwanted to know was how long would the drive shaft have to be to fit with the new tranny? Could the old drive shaft be used? my existing shaft looks to have been cut down to fit the th400.Now i got the truck as is so i have know idea how long it used to be.But has a small slip yoke in front which i would assume was supposed to fit either 350 and400. what length does any one have for their driveshaft for a short tail th350 with a stock rear end? and is it a one piece? Thanks in advance

Offline Grim 82

Re: DRIVE LINE CHANGES
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
Welcome to the site. I don't have an answer for you, but if you leave about an inch of the yoke out of the trans and measure center to center of the u-joint caps you will know your overall length and can have a shop make you a new driveshaft.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »
You are going to need a new driveshaft and input shaft.

Offline KILLERC10

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:54:31 PM »
AS IN INPUT SHAFT ON ??? THE TRANNY?

Offline three8six

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
I think it's a 3 inch difference though...but yea new drive shaft and if chris is telling you input shaft I'd believe that too.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »
The th350 has 27 spline shaft while the th400 has 32 splines so you need a new yoke or one from the junk yard
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline KILLERC10

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:41:16 AM »
THANKS GUYS FOR THE INFO