Author Topic: I have an oil leak  (Read 2402 times)

Offline 84chevysilverado

• Frequent Member
I have an oil leak
« on: June 19, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »
well I finally got my truck back on the road after camming the engine rebuilding the carb and redoing the heads. So after driving up the road a bit the whole cab filled up with smoke i drove it home and popped the hood. What i found is my fuel pump was covered with oil also the whole oil pan was covered and the trany. So i thought it was the fuel pump gasket so i installed a new one. stated the motor and reved it and i thought it was fixed. took it up the road and once again smoke everywhere. and everything was covered as before.Any ideas? its just around the fuel pump thats covered. So im theinking its the crank seal but i replaced it with a new one when I put the motor back togeather. thanks marc
I'D RATHER PUSH A CHEVY THAN DRIVE A FORD

Offline TexasRed

Re: I have an oil leak
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
timing chain cover isn't leaking?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
wind from the fan and just driving can push and pull oil all over i would clean it up and just sit there and see if you see anything
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline lucki17

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:53:44 AM »
i would check around the exhaust to find the leak, if its smoking that much my guess is its dripping on the exhaust then burning up. my truck had a oil leak from the valve cover gaskets, but i never had any oil on the ground because it got burnt up on the exhaust first. good luck.

Offline markdilljr

• Me on Hopper "Covered"
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 01:17:17 PM »
I agree on the valve cover gasket, mine was leaking on the back corner which I coundnt see. I replaced the oil pan gasket 3 times ( I thought it was leaking from there ) before I realized it was the valve cover gasket. If your smoking that bad I would say check all around the valve covers.
Ride Rank, Make Bank