Author Topic: bypass floor dimmer...HELP  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Cs Tree Needs

bypass floor dimmer...HELP
« on: May 02, 2019, 07:56:49 AM »
the floor dimmer shorted out the other night, due to chewed wires + loose wires into clip (age + possibly hungry mice).

can i "quick fix" it by connecting the "hot" from the headlight switch to the low beam.

I'm not worried about hi/low switching...just working headlights for now.

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: bypass floor dimmer...HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Online zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:17:21 AM »
the floor dimmer shorted out the other night, due to chewed wires + loose wires into clip (age + possibly hungry mice).

can i "quick fix" it by connecting the "hot" from the headlight switch to the low beam.

I'm not worried about hi/low switching...just working headlights for now.

Yes, I've done it before in a pinch.  Make sure you connect the right 2 wires as to have low beams.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »
i would imagine you could but i wouldnt due to the fact if i rig something i might now fix it later.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cs Tree Needs

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 01:53:58 PM »
thanx fellas...confirmation = confidence w/ electrical ideas!!!

Offline Cs Tree Needs

headlight short...HELP
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 06:26:44 PM »
my headlight dimmer on floor melted the other night,
the wires were "chewed + worn"  before hand.
so to get lights "for now" i bypassed melted dimmer and connected the hot/yellow and high beam wires.
that got me HOT wires fairly quickly,
i switched and connected the low beam and have a lil warmth after bit,

I noticed both lights on 1 side have moisture inside, might this have anything to do with my problem?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »
i would image the amp draw on the wires being somewhat high. the switch prob gets warm but its encased into a shell so there direct contact for heat to be felt. the rigged connection prob isnt the greatest and that is causing resistance/heat.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 06:54:43 AM »
Several years ago I added relays under the hood so that the headlight power does not go through the switch. All the switch does now is provide very low amp power for the relay activation, and the high amp power runs directly from the battery over to the headlights.   

I also pulled an additional power junction (like the one on the firewall) from an old truck, so I now have a power point on the passenger side fenderwell next to the battery. I used an old alternator charge wire and fusible link to connect the new power point directly to the battery positive.

Bruce

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: headlight short...HELP
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »
my headlight dimmer on floor melted the other night,
the wires were "chewed + worn"  beforehand.
so to get lights "for now" i bypassed melted dimmer and connected the hot/yellow and high beam wires.
that got me HOT wires fairly quickly,
i switched and connected the low beam and have a lil warmth after bit,

I noticed both lights on 1 side have moisture inside, might this have anything to do with my problem?

Honestly, you need to find a proper solution to control environmental exposure and rodent activity or you will never achieve lasting success over any repair.   :o

Even considering a tight budget and limited time constraints, the "defining problem" will be NOT AFFECTING proper repair at the onset.  The cost of repair will be greater than a shortcut, initially, but quite possibly less in the long term.  Replace or repair the damaged wiring and then replace the melted dimmer switch, including a new connector.  In addition, replace the compromised headlamps that contain visible moisture.  Retrofitting headlamp relays with heavier gauge wire, as suggested, is an excellent upgrade that provides both immediate and long-term benefit with zero regrets.  Any other "temporary" approach is dubious and tempts fate, inviting a plague of endless grief.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)