Author Topic: 400 SBC install help  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Dirka

400 SBC install help
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
Hey all!
I'm soon to be a happy owner a rebuilt sbc 400 motor going back into my 77 K10.
It will come assembled minus the accesory items (water pump, Power steering, alternator, starter, etc)
I've been looking around at serpentine systems and am curious on which side the alternator, AC would be on, or if I can put it on either side? The truck Has some AC componets (currently on passenger side) but it's not complete and not running.  The new engine will not will be running the AC until all the AC parts are gathered.
So I'm assuming it would be wise to put the alternator on driver side, and get an AC delete pulley until I get the AC parts? Or do i just skip the AC portoin all together and then buy the new belt later to include the AC?
Also I'm a little lost on the whole reverse/normal rotation of the water pump and how that effects everything else and how would I know which i need, does it matter? Just as long I get one and everything else is set up to match that water pump?
I'm also planning on getting new radiator, as I've read on here 400's can be problematic in overheating and thus I will most likely be running an electric fan or possibly a dual fan (that is undecided) as I'm sure it depends on room I have left after engine is installed.  This will affect the serpentine system as well? And may even answer the question about the reverse rotation since the serpentine won't be running the fan.
I know that was kind of all over the place and I apologize, but any help would advise would be great!
Thank,
Derik

Online Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 400 SBC install help
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »
Hope this answers what you are wanting, but the GM Serpentine setups have the AC on the Passenger side.  It requires a reverse rotation water pump.  YOu can put an idler there if you aren't ready for the AC, or just leave an old AC sitting there as long as the clutch works.  Electric fans won't matter if you plan to not run the mechanical fan