Author Topic: Sooooo i had to put my drool bib on for this one  (Read 19811 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Sooooo i had to put my drool bib on for this one
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
was searching craigs list last night, came upon a post only 2 hours old. it said 84 chevy, so i bit. and the guy was asking 4.5k for it so as soon as i got off work i sent it to my friend. he says lets go (its only a 3 hour trip). being sunday i dont have 4.5k just laying around so right after breakfast i went to someone who i knew would have it. i borrowed some cash from a good friend and borrowed his 2001 ram 2500 5.9 . called the guy up and said i have 4k in my hand right now, he kind of changed the subject and was talking about fixing something before he sold it. i thought i offende him, so i said you dont understand i have 4k right now and i would pick the truck up today. he got a little happy with that and i told him ill be up in a coule hours.

well on the way to P.A. we noticed traffic was backed up south bound(we where going north) so kind of hurt to think we would be going threw that going home. but 3 hours later after hitting a bunch of pot holes we arrived to see my beauty

thats right shes a cummins 8) sounded good too. she does have the cummins to gm adapter plate and dana 60/14 bolt. loaded her up the guy threw in a visor and sm465 mated to a 205. she may not look the best but man once you sit behind the wheel of a chevy/gmc with a cummins it will bring a smile to anyone face

all in all it wasnt a steal but it was a good deal. it also turned out to be a 84 so now i have a truck as old as me
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:09:16 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 87V20Kansan

Re: Sooooo i had to put my drool bib on for this one
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »
Very nice.
Cecil: 1987 V20, TBI 350, TH400, 4:10's, 7" lift, 37" H1 beadlocked runflats. Cummins swap someday.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:27 AM »
     Congrat's on the new truck.  So how did he mistake it as a 87 if it is a 84 ?  What does the paperwork say, you did get a title with it right ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline blazing816

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:10:25 AM »
looks like a great truck....it is funny I am trying to get a diesel red 84 'crew cab' 4x4 with a dana 60/14 bolt, but the guy is not returning my texts or emails and it was only 5 days old when I saw it. Best of luck with the truck.
-----------------------------
1988 Chevy R20 Scottsdale Crew Cab (350/TH400/4.56)

Offline dsgb610

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:16 AM »
nice truck good deal. good friends.

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »
very cool.  I've never really been into diesels, I guess because I never felt I needed the extra grunt. ???  but the rest of the truck is a pure gem.  nice find.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:20 AM »
Cummins power, it was worth it IMO 1 ton and all...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline mechwarrior75

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »
Nice truck, you have any pics under the hood?

Offline cvbear

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 07:10:31 PM »
Congratulations, looks like a good starting point.  How is the interior?
1984 SWB Silverado fleetside, 350 crate engine, 350 trans

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
ill get some pics under the hood tomorrow. it has a 4l60 but the boy was clear and said it was shot. still has 1st and 2nd it will shift to 3rd but no matter what you do the engine just revs then it will just coast. went by my uncles right across the street from the shop and took him for a ride. put her in 1st and floored it threw us both back, need to put something up to protect the rear windows from heads lol.

it still has the stock radio am/fm, dash is shot, seat has a couple rips but its weirdly nice and cushny . it was a base model with a 454 so it doesnt even have ac lol. 87 to 84 deal idk. vins match the only thing i can think of is his brother listed it on Craig list.

the square plug on the 4l60 isnt pluged in no speedo or tach. trying to decide what to do about the trans. could we build the 4l60 up to hold the cummins? have a 10 speed with a cummins adapter just sitting. it would be real cool but not practical and we would lose 4x4.

had a guy who works on tractor trailers come by today. showed him the truck his was happy to see it, said it was a good engine to start with. so it seams 9 out of 10 people dont like the truck once i tell them i paid 4k for it( around home). so i asked him how much is it worth, he said 2.5k. my jaw dropped i was like did i get a crappy cummins, so i asked him how much is the engine worth he said 2.5k.

so with a engine worth 2.5 axles worth 1k adapter plate worth 1k i think it was a good deal. just have to figure out the trans

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 87V20Kansan

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 01:54:49 AM »
It is a good deal. Some people just don't know what they are looking at.
Cecil: 1987 V20, TBI 350, TH400, 4:10's, 7" lift, 37" H1 beadlocked runflats. Cummins swap someday.

Offline mechwarrior75

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 06:03:13 AM »
The problem is if you are a normal person and you look at the truck and say i paid 4g for it ,it is alot for what you see.... But if you calculate everything by its value then you see that it was a deal .Dont worry what ppl think you bought it you like it shoot if you dont want to run it and have the place well you will probably get more back . shoot im looking for a decent box and cab cant find or too far ....

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:27 AM »
screw real people(who live nraer by), i have you guys lmao. just cant wait to see the in-law's faces when i drive her up to their house
even when i got her insured the insurance lady who knew my wife since she was born told her " i think he might have a problem. he might be a collector" my wife says "yes, thats what im afraid of" some people dont understand why you need 4 or 5 trucks lol

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »
Test out it's true strength by running over the visor  ;D
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »
Test out it's true strength by running over the visor  ;D

Come on Irish you got to find a Emoticons for this.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom