Author Topic: Sooooo i had to put my drool bib on for this one  (Read 19807 times)

Offline 87V20Kansan

Re: Sooooo i had to put my drool bib on for this one
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »
"He might be a collector" my wife says "yes, thats what im afraid of" some people dont understand why you need 4 or 5 trucks lol

I understand why. You need a fleet. People have that need from time to time! That being said..... I officially, and in front of all of the interwebs, hereby claim dibs on the first right of purchase of this Cummins powered one ton single wheel in the unlikely event that Irish decides he needs to thin his heard.
Cecil: 1987 V20, TBI 350, TH400, 4:10's, 7" lift, 37" H1 beadlocked runflats. Cummins swap someday.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »
Test out it's true strength by running over the visor  ;D
well i know i wont put it on, but someone somewhere will pay $50 for it.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline mechwarrior75

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
Wow they fit in there snug ...... you will know when you have a bad cab support it will start touching . im guessing would be better with a body lift  :P

Offline Engineer

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
I like it.

Though not a bargain, I think it was worth $4K.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
yeah i dont think it was a deal but it was worth it and i knew it wouldnt last long. figured he upped the price so if someone did talk him down he still got what he wanted. would of liked to get it for 3.5 but didnt want to let him "think" about it. he said he phone was ringing off the hook till i got threr

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
so silly question, is it hard to swap in a cummins when a diesel is already in there?  it's obvious the cummins is superior to the (I'm guessing here) 350 diesel it came with but are they (the cummins) that plentiful or do the dodge owners not know how to take care of the truck so the truck falls apart before the engine is even thinking of being tired?

even at 4k I would say you go a great deal.  you may think it is high but what is it really worth...  overall condition looks decent and solid I think.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 07:58:32 AM »
the dodge trucks fall apart, they ride rough. idk why but the cummins 6bt (5.9) is about 1100 lbs. its not a light engine and its bigger than our 350 will 2 less cylinders. in stock form the 1st gen puts out only 160 hp and 400 tq. the cummins is used in everything from case equipment to school buses. they have a 4bt a 4 cylinder that is easier to put into other vehicles and is about 1k -$500 cheaper than the 6bt. the 6bt being so heavy and with its power isnt recommended in 1/2 tons, and trying to find a trans that will hold up to it is hard to find. dodge has a problem with ball joints and their front end anyway once the cummins goes it it really makes things go south fast. thinking about doing away with the 4x4 right now and dropping in a 10 speed. then once i get a crew cab ready i will worry about the 4x4.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »
I think you made out well  You couldn't pull off a swap for less than that...  Little jealous actually...  LOL

Offline 87V20Kansan

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »
I think you made out well  You couldn't pull off a swap for less than that...  Little jealous actually...  LOL

Exactly! That truck is worth more than what you paid for it. The testimony to that is that the phone was ringing off of the hook. $1500 in axles, $1000 in tranny and t case, $2500 for the Cummins, probably a $700 adapter to get it bolted up to the tranny, several hundred in swap parts, labor to screw it all together? AAAND it comes with a great looking Chevy wrapped around it? I wish I could find one around here for that money. Bargain of the year as far I am concerned. That truck is an intercooler, injectors, turbo, injector pump, and a paint job away from being a legend.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:56:54 PM by Captkaos »
Cecil: 1987 V20, TBI 350, TH400, 4:10's, 7" lift, 37" H1 beadlocked runflats. Cummins swap someday.

Offline greasemonkey54

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 12:11:28 PM »
looks good!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »
thanks guys :). gotten to drive her around the farm AND the boost gauge goes up to 30 psi 0 is at 6 o'clock and 30 is at 3 o'clock. well found out if you let the turbo spool up then floor it she will spin back around to 0 psi lol. was planing on taking the motor out and still getting a crew cab to put it in. but i kind of fallen for this truck she looks like an old farm truck and its a 84 so shares the same birth year as me. we figured once we get the trans delt with and keep her looking about the same she will make a nice sleeper.

Offline 4x4x4x

• 85k10 diesel
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
great find, but I still prefer my 6.5

alec
85 k10 swb, 6.5 diesel. banks sidewinder turbo, 700r4, auburn gear ected limited slip/lockers f & r, 411 gears, front slotted disks, rear disk brakes, 4"exhaust,  cibie headlight and fog lights, rancho rear spring lift, rancho shocks, new ft. springs,

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 12:33:40 AM »
i started on a 6.5td they have their problems (electric) but there was something missing when i been driving lately and it was the smell of diesel. then i realize i missed the smell of diesel fuel in the morning

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 07:24:33 PM »
So yesterday we heard they where having a tracktor/truck pull Saturday and sunday. and for some reason we decided it would be a good ideal, figured if anything goes it would be the trans but 1st and 2nd still pull good. so today after work we got the truck fitted up put on a little clevis

heres my little boy hugging my best friends daughter they are 6 month apart.
there was some good truck there ford dodge and diesel. but during registration they asked if its stock and i told them it has a stock cummins in it. ok no problem they put me in the Hot Street class diesel this is only one step above street diesel. i was first cool with it then i saw what i was running against and what my class meant. it meant it was a street legal truck BUT wasn't stock parts IE engine or turbo. and i was running against a 24v and two duramaxs. all these trucks also ran the street diesel class so they had a live programmer vs my stock cummins. i said something about why is that 89 dodge running street diesel but i have the same engine same tune and i have to run with the big dogs. they said since gm didnt have the cummins i couldnt run with them. so i knew i had no chance of doing anything and not to mention this was my first competition so i was nervous of that.

the trucks ahead of me pulled around 200+ft think first took 209. now i cant remember what the lady over the inter calm said but i want to say she said 199 but i kind of think she said 109 lol. now i must say my boost gauge might be wrong but it did say 30+psi so i didnt floor it so that might of hurt. and i didnt blow as much smoke as i thought i would of soooo some work is in the works

you got to love my cheer leaders, and btw i was waiting for him to wave the flag not just hole it. thought he was waiting for the ok from the far end
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:28:06 PM by Irish_Alley »