Author Topic: My 1981 c10 stepside Shortbed  (Read 3703 times)

Offline montezeric01

My 1981 c10 stepside Shortbed
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
My grandpa bought this truck new and it’s been in the family ever since. It’s a straight six with a column shift.He passed away in 93 (before I was even born) and the truck sat for a while not sure how long. Probably about 10 or so years ago my uncle got it up and running again and I absolutely love this truck but it’s time for a few upgrades! Looking to do a complete restomod to it maybe with a pro touring kind of feel but my problem is I have no experience working on vehicles. The list of things I’d like to do is an LS swap with a T56 transmission, add AC and head, power steering, power brakes, 4/6 drop, new wheels and tires, fix the cab corners and few other rust spots, and I’m sure plenty more but those are the top mods I’d like to do. Once the truck is running and driving the way I like it then I will worry about paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: My 1981 c10 stepside Shortbed
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline fitz

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Welcome. It's great to see trucks with sentimental value.

Offline montezeric01

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 06:33:41 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 08:00:12 PM »
I suggest this https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681432/10002/-1 with an RV cam or something like this http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2010&gid=289. That engine has a roller camshaft and vortec heads, it will make decent power. It will bolt in with stock parts and be more affordable. Then work on your lowering and body. Once you have more experience you can do your LS swap. I'd like you to be successful, tackling an LS swap first thing would be tough. I don't have any idea what experience you have or what tools you have. Please give it some thought anyhow.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline DBarre

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 08:38:05 PM »
Welcome! My grandpa bought a similar spec '78! His ended up being so rusty that I used it as a parts truck for my '81. I took the engine and many small parts and now have a really good truck.

Offline montezeric01

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:54:49 PM »
I suggest this https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681432/10002/-1 with an RV cam or something like this http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2010&gid=289. That engine has a roller camshaft and vortec heads, it will make decent power. It will bolt in with stock parts and be more affordable. Then work on your lowering and body. Once you have more experience you can do your LS swap. I'd like you to be successful, tackling an LS swap first thing would be tough. I don't have any idea what experience you have or what tools you have. Please give it some thought anyhow.

I’ve changed out the water pump on my inline 6, and I change its oil. That’s about all of the experience that I have working on any vehicles. I would love to do everything on my own but with my limited experience I feel it would be better to have someone build it for me so it will be done right the first time.

Offline montezeric01

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
Welcome! My grandpa bought a similar spec '78! His ended up being so rusty that I used it as a parts truck for my '81. I took the engine and many small parts and now have a really good truck.

Can you post a picture of your build?

Offline DBarre

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 12:03:44 AM »
I’ve changed out the water pump on my inline 6, and I change its oil. That’s about all of the experience that I have working on any vehicles. I would love to do everything on my own but with my limited experience I feel it would be better to have someone build it for me so it will be done right the first time.

I did an engine and transmission swap by myself having only done not much more than routine maintenance to my own vehicles.
This may not be kosher here, but I have an entire thread on GMSquarebody.com:  www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/81-c10-six-banger.22061/

Offline montezeric01

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »

I did an engine and transmission swap by myself having only done not much more than routine maintenance to my own vehicles.
This may not be kosher here, but I have an entire thread on GMSquarebody.com:  www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/81-c10-six-banger.22061/

Awesome job! I think I could tackle it if I didn’t want to put an LS in it. I’m good with computers but I figure I’ll mess something up when trying to wire it!

Offline DBarre

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 01:54:52 PM »
Thanks! I think if you get a kit with a standalone computer where you can just plug and play, you might have a chance. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry do get it driving. It took me about 6 months to get my truck driveable and there were still a lot of small things to take care of.