Author Topic: Chevy's amazing steering.  (Read 11963 times)

Offline Norseman

Re: Chevy's amazing steering.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
What did you find with the caliper? Many people that replace their own pads don't lubricate the caliper slide pins. This can result in the outside pad holding pressure against the rotor, wearing that pad prematurely and usually warping the rotor. Ford pickups are famous for this.
77 Chevy K10 SWB, 292/4spd (350 on the engine stand pending rebuild)
1985 Ford F-350 FB, Detroit 453T/4spd/3spd (At least the engine is GM!)
2004 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab 4x4, Cummins/auto (Sorry, I can't own an Isuzu diesel)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »
That isn't just a matter of adjusting that screw..

Here is the procedure that GM Saginaw Division recommends to adjust the steering box.

Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft, completely back off the sector shaft adjusting screw on the sector shaft cover.

Center steering on the "high point" then attach an inch lb torque wrench to the steering wheel shaft, the torque required to keep the shaft moving for one complete turn should be 1/2 - 2 in lbs.

If the torque is not within these limits, loosen the thrust bearing locknut or tighten valve sleeve adjuster plug to bring the preload within limits.

Tighten the thrust bearing locknut and recheck preload.
Slowly rotate the steering shaft several times, then center the steering on high point.

Now, turn the sector shaft adjusting screw until a steering shaft torque of 3 - 6 in lbs more is required to move the worm through the center point.

Tighten the sector shaft locknut to 35 ft lbs and recheck the sector mesh adjustment.

Total steering gear preload should be 14 in lbs or less.

Install the pitman arm and replace back in vehicle.

NOTE: To try and adjust the sector shaft screw without doing the preceding will DAMAGE the steering gear.
Most of the play is not in the sector shaft adjustment, it is the spool valve area.

Offline Engineer

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »

Here is the procedure that GM Saginaw Division recommends to adjust the steering box.

Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft, completely back off the sector shaft adjusting screw on the sector shaft cover.

Center steering on the "high point" then attach an inch lb torque wrench to the steering wheel shaft, the torque required to keep the shaft moving for one complete turn should be 1/2 - 2 in lbs.

If the torque is not within these limits, loosen the thrust bearing locknut or tighten valve sleeve adjuster plug to bring the preload within limits.

Slowly rotate the steering shaft several times, then center the steering on high point.

Now, turn the sector shaft adjusting screw until a steering shaft torque of 3 - 6 in lbs more is required to move the worm through the center point.

Tighten the sector shaft locknut to 35 ft lbs and recheck the sector mesh adjustment.

NOTE: To try and adjust the sector shaft screw without doing the preceding will DAMAGE the steering gear.
Most of the play is not in the sector shaft adjustment, it is the spool valve area.

This. ^ ^

Adjusting the sector nut without taking the end play out of the worm shaft beforehand will only make the bad steering symptoms worse.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
What did you find with the caliper? Many people that replace their own pads don't lubricate the caliper slide pins. This can result in the outside pad holding pressure against the rotor, wearing that pad prematurely and usually warping the rotor. Ford pickups are famous for this.

Thanks for the reminder but learned this lesson over 15 yes ago. But it never hurts to be reminded.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »

Thanks a lot Cap...! I really was already set on the new box and I'm still going to get it but since you just gave this junkie his favorite drug...I'm thinking for for however many hours I'm going to spend freezing my but off trying to do this just to prove to myself it can be done and help. I do this at work all the time even though I don't have to because most of the time everyone just orders a new onebc thy are too lazy or incompetent to do it. Thanks for feeding my addiction!!

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
Oh and happy Thanksgiving to everyone...

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 09:18:28 PM »
Well I have decided to just rebuild the steering gear box. I rebuild 3k psi hydraulic manifolds and components at work all the time and I have replaced several o-rings and seal tat have become hard plastic square rings so this really isn't any different. If anyone wants me to take progressive pics and explain the process let me know and I will do just that. I have a lot of specialty tools but if there is anyone who wants me t do it with basic everyday hand tools I will do that as well. The price difference is so drastic that I truly see this as worth rebuild vice buying something that I could have done myself.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
Yes take pictures model it like I did the TBI rebuild if you can listing the tools you used in each step and every step you did.  (keep in mind this will HUGELY lengthen your rebuild time, it took me about 2 hours for that TBI doc).  Would love to put this in the tech section.

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »
Yes take pictures model it like I did the TBI rebuild if you can listing the tools you used in each step and every step you did.  (keep in mind this will HUGELY lengthen your rebuild time, it took me about 2 hours for that TBI doc).  Would love to put this in the tech section.

Deal...consider it done.. first I'm replacing the my Knock sensor see if she runs right and then timing set and Distributor gear If either fixes the issue I WILL IMMEDIATELY tear into the steering gear box.