Author Topic: Axle swap and knuckle question  (Read 1038 times)

Offline adaml23

Axle swap and knuckle question
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
Hey everyone! New here and have some questions. So I'm looking to get my dad's old K10 Scottsdale 400 sb running and need some help with getting another axle put in the rear. The plan with this truck is ~80% on road use with plow capabilities and occasional light off-road fun.

The truck currently has 3.08s 6 lug in the front and rear and the rear is toast. It's a gov-lock 12 bolt.

I've possibly got a lead on a set of Dana 44 front and rear 3.73s. 12 bolt rear 6 lug with new wheel bearings, seals, acdleco ball joints, u joints and it is a big bearing 44. He wants $300 total for both.

Pretty sure up to this point everything should swap over, right? But it also has the flat top knuckles on the front. I plan on either leaving the truck stock height or possibly no greater than a 3 inch lift with some larger tires.

Question is, do I (or can I) use the flat top knuckles with no (or not much) lift and leaving the steering stock? Don't really want to mess with the steering actually. If the flat top knuckles won't work, can I just re-use the current knuckles that are on the truck and remove the flat top knuckles if I can't use them (I'd rather not do this as its prolly more work... )

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Axle swap and knuckle question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:05:21 AM »
Flat top knuckles should have no issue. Just attach your drag link to the steering arm from the new axle. If you get a 4" lift make sure you get one that comes with  drop arm.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs