Author Topic: Replacing manual hubs with slugs  (Read 6470 times)

Offline 5l1p5tr3am

Replacing manual hubs with slugs
« on: February 19, 2015, 01:17:23 AM »
Hi all,
I have an unconverted 203 with manual hubs. I don't know why. For simplicity sake, I'd like to revert to the factory drive flanges/slugs if it's not going to cost me too much. Can anyone give me some insight into what's involved to perform this swap?  Thanks in advance for any help :-)
1979 Chevy Frankenstein
C10 diesel converted to 4x4 with 307/350/203

Offline enaberif

Re: Replacing manual hubs with slugs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:49:37 AM »
You need a part time kit which is around $60 or so. Then you need manual hubs which is about another $100 give or take depending on where you buy.

Then depending on the year of your NP203 you may need a bushing.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:10:28 AM »
Find someone that just converted theirs to part time
Pay the postage for the flanges that they took out and are going to chuck in the trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
You need a part time kit which is around $60 or so. Then you need manual hubs which is about another $100 give or take depending on where you buy.

you are going the wrong way lol

the install/removal of the whole hub assembly is actually pretty simple as long as you keep things in the correct order

and you are going to need one of the fancy sockets in this picture. even though i just had mine all apart over summer, i cant remember exactly which one you need
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline enaberif

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »
OOoops so I did. I guess I wonder why they want to go back to slugs. Its a 4x4.. it should have the 4x4 look. Slugs make it look like a 2wd.

Offline 5l1p5tr3am

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 01:33:17 AM »
Find someone that just converted theirs to part time
Pay the postage for the flanges that they took out and are going to chuck in the trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good idea. I'm sure I can find someone on here if not local. Thanks.

you are going the wrong way lol

the install/removal of the whole hub assembly is actually pretty simple as long as you keep things in the correct order

and you are going to need one of the fancy sockets in this picture. even though i just had mine all apart over summer, i cant remember exactly which one you need

I believe I've seen that kit for rent at AZ or ORs. Thanks.
1979 Chevy Frankenstein

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »
OOoops so I did. I guess I wonder why they want to go back to slugs. Its a 4x4.. it should have the 4x4 look. Slugs make it look like a 2wd.

maybe if you are only looking at the hub and dont look at anything else that gives away the secret of 4x4 lol
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline enaberif

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »

maybe if you are only looking at the hub and dont look at anything else that gives away the secret of 4x4 lol

Exterior wise nothing says my truck is a 4x4 :P

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
I prefer the chrome caps/unconverted 4x4 for several reasons.  You never have to "remember" to engage them periodically to keep the transfer case all lubed up.  The front end parts are spinning all the time and don't rust up, been there done that from lack of use.  The 2 I converted the mpg's did not increase like everyone said it would.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline 5l1p5tr3am

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 03:54:26 AM »
I prefer the chrome caps/unconverted 4x4 for several reasons.  You never have to "remember" to engage them periodically to keep the transfer case all lubed up.  The front end parts are spinning all the time and don't rust up, been there done that from lack of use.  The 2 I converted the mpg's did not increase like everyone said it would.

Yeah, I definitely have to intention of converting the case to PT. Lord knows this truck has seen enough conversions. Just want to get rid of the manual hubs.  You know... tits on a bull, and all.
1979 Chevy Frankenstein