Author Topic: Missing Flasher Fuse?  (Read 4014 times)

Offline alradco

Missing Flasher Fuse?
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
Hello, recently I bought a 78 4x4 stepside and have slowly started working on it. The blinkers don't work on the truck so I looked at the fuse panel and it looks like previous owner removed the fuse and wires from the fuse panel or am I missing something? Is it located somewhere else?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Missing Flasher Fuse?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
It appears that all the fuse box fuses are present.  The turn flasher on your truck may plug into a black plastic two-prong socket that dangles freely from the under dash harness in the vicinity of the fuse block, rather than plug into the fuse block.  The turn flasher is similar in appearance to the hazard flasher pictured in your image.  Take another look for a free hanging socket.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline alradco

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
Thanks Rich. I read somewhere that the turn signal fuse fits in the 2 holes on the bottom left hand side of that panel and looks just like the hazard fuse. The only other free hanging relay or fuse that I see in that area is a 3 prong for the horn. I'll look again and maybe pull off the panel to make it easier to see.

Peter

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »
Peter, you're confusing terminology.  Within the context of our discussion, a "fuse" is an electrical safety device that permanently interrupts current flow through a conductor (wire or circuit) if current flow through the circuit becomes excessive (greater than the amperage rating of the fuse).  Fuses effectively protect circuitry from damage by melting, severing electrical connection, before other circuit components can overheat and catch fire.  Fuses fail catastrophically, meaning that they cannot recover after melting and terminating current flow.  The roughly 1" long clear glass capsules with metal end caps in the fuse box image you posted are "glass" fuses.

The metal can in the top left corner of the fuse box is called a "flasher."  It is a very specialized type of automatically resetting circuit breaker or thermal relay.  It functions as a switch that cyclically turns the signal lights on-off-on-off-on-off... as long as power is applied through it.  The hazard and turn signal flashers are interchangeable.

Looking at factory wiring manuals, the 1976 and 1977 C & K models had the turn and hazard flashers located in the fuse box (hazard flasher at top left and turn flasher at lower left).  But, according to the 1978 Wiring Manual, the C & K models of that year used a "divorced turn signal flasher" that dangled out of the harness as I previously described.  Generally, divorced flasher fuse boxes did not incorporate the two terminals for the turn signal flasher - there were no socket holes in the fuse box for the turn flasher.

The fuse box in your truck, however, was manufactured to physically accommodate a turn signal flasher.  From recollection, there were very short transition periods during production runs in which 'divorced flashers' were used even though the fuse box was manufactured to accommodate both flashers.  In those cases the turn signal flasher terminals were missing from the fuse box - the socket holes were there as in prior years, but they were blank.

Regarding your truck, if a free hanging flasher socket is absent from under the dash and the flasher terminals are missing from the fuse box, I would inspect the backside of the fuse box to determine whether you can just install the appropriate wires and mount the turn flasher in the box using Packard 56 series terminals.  Of course, there is still the matter of finding the existing wires under the dash (dark blue is ignition power into the flasher, purple is power out to the turn signal switch).
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
That panel looks identical to my 78 and both flashers are in it.One at the top and one at the bottom

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
Well, there you go.  All you need to do is find the dark blue and purple wires and reinsert them into the fuse box then add a flasher.
Rich

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »
Its hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the lower vertical terminal is there.The other may be there as well maybe just pushed through the the back of the blockI have had that happen before

Offline alradco

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
Thanks guys. Started looking around up there to find those two wires and found this tucked away. Threw a flasher is in there and blinkers work. Appreciate the help.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
Mid-year production changes were never disclosed in the service literature and always scrambled the eggs!  Glad you got it!
Rich

Offline hatzie

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »
Thanks guys. Started looking around up there to find those two wires and found this tucked away. Threw a flasher is in there and blinkers work. Appreciate the help.

The divorced round flasher relay cans were mounted into a rubber ring with a slot on one side to hang it on a sheet metal finger.  You can still find the rubber mounting rings with some aftermarket relays.

From orbit on my Android.

SVC & wiring mans --> Here http://tinyurl.com/7387BRD-SVCMAN or My Bucket @ http://tinyurl.com/SQ-SVCMAN
Parts & Illustr Books -->http://tinyurl.com/SqParts
GMSTG Textbooks-->http://tinyurl.com/STG-TEXTBK
Radio Manuals-->http://tinyurl.com/DELCORADSVC