Author Topic: Can I run my hei off the fuel pump relay?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline muldoon

Can I run my hei off the fuel pump relay?
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
I finally had time to get back to my truck.  Been a very busy few weeks with moving and huge work project workload.  Life ain't easy for a single dad. 

74 gmc sierra, 454, th400, edelbrock 750cfm. 

Anyway, I am still working my way through this truck and what previous owner did.  I am not a gearhead for a living, but I am not afraid to do my own work or get dirty.  I have done pretty much everything fuel and air related to date.  I have been on the "spark" learning curve lately. 

The truck did not have a timing tab at all, it has a mark on the balancer but there was no tab.  That was a tight fit to get it in, but it's there now. 

I pulled all the plugs to find tdc, using a compression test kit re-plumbed into a boost boost/vaccuum gauge.  I manually turned the crankshaft clockwise and watched piston come up (boost), and then drop (vacuum).  It took some time, but but TDC is established as "2" on the timing tab.

I decided to replace the distributor with the new cfr 65k hei I bought, and have installed.  Have it installed, plug wires back in. 

In the process of doing all of this, I pulled the msd6a that was installed.  I do not think I need it on this truck. 

Now I am wiring the HEI and I cannot find the install paper that came with the thing. 

It has two connections, IGN and TAC. 

For ignition, would it be better to come off the fuel pump relay I have installed instead of trying to tie into ignition circuit off the main panel block?  It gets battery power, but only when key on.  I tried looking this up and get conflicting information about using battery direct versus 12v switched.   I could use some guidance on this. 

Second, for TAC, I just use a ground right?  Since removing the msd, I do not have a "TAC" source that I know of.  or is the distributor providing TAC for my use on a gauge later? 

...I wish I could find that paper that came with this thing...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:02:32 AM by muldoon »

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Can I run my hei off the fuel pump relay?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
For your IGN question, I don't know what would be better. I pretty sure that factory setup is wired to 12V switched ignition for when the key is turned to start and run.

For your TACH question, yes, the TACH plug is the source of signal for a tachometer if you have or are going to get one. Usually the tach comes with 3 or 4 wires, 1 power, 1 ground, 1for back lighting if it has that feature and 1 for TACH signal from the distributor.
LTZ Cheyenne C20