Author Topic: Truck wont start!  (Read 5139 times)

Offline 82oldskid

Truck wont start!
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »
I know this ain't about a 73-87 truck, but I was hoping somebody might be able to help.  I recently put a starter in an 01 Silverado with a 5.3.  Before this, the truck wouldn't crank at all.  Put the new starter in and now it cranks but won't fire.  This wasn't an issue before the starter died.  Now it just cranks like its not getting fuel or spark.  I haven't gotten into diagnosing anything yet, bit I know the fuel pump is cranking.  I'm kinda baffled and am looking for any ideas on this.  If anyone has any ideas on this, please chime in.  Thanks!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Truck wont start!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »
make sure you're getting spark and signal to the injectors
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:29:39 AM »
make sure you're getting spark and signal to the injectors

Did you see if there was any codes that would pull ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 82oldskid

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:47:16 AM »
Irish_Alley:  Thats the game plan for tonight.  And I'm checking the fuel pressure, even though the pump is running.  The guy who brought this truck to me didn't even know what year the truck was, or what motor, so for all I know, this could have been a long time problem that he never noticed.

bake74:  Haven't yet, my buddy is bringing his code reader tonight for me.  I'm a little skeptical cause the battery was disconnected, but then again, it did save the radio settings when I hooked it back up, so who knows.

Unfortunetly, I'm at my day job right now, so I can't do anything til this evening, but in the mean time, keep the suggestions rolling!  Thanks for your answers so far!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:30:12 AM »
      Well if it does not show any codes that is a bummer.  I am sure before you get home tonight more members will chime in.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
When you are digging into this remember the basics that every motor needs to run.
Air, Fuel, and Spark at the right time.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
even with good fuel pressure this doesnt mean the injectors are getting signal to fire. dont know if its the only way but i have a diode tester set and thats how i check for signal

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 74bluebowtie

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »
Could be a Passlock issue.  Google how to let the BCM relearn the key.  And there is a way to solder a resistor into the circuit to bypass it permanently.
When this happens the vehicle will usually crank but it shuts down the injectors.

Offline 82oldskid

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
sorry I haven't updated in a few days, was a long weekend.  Working on this and doin a clutch in a mustang at the same time, then took my woman to the hospital after she tripped and hurt her knee pretty good.  What a lovely weekend...  anyhoo, plugged in a scanner, got code P0335 - No signal from the Crank Sensor.  Checked power to the sensor, all good.  Checked all the fuses, good there.  Swapped the Crank Sensor, still no start, and getting the same code.  so, tonights game plan, picking up a set of noid lights, gonna check the injector pulses, and gonna check for spark.  This job reminds me how much I love my two 86 Chevy's, cause when something like this happens, it's a heck of alot easier to diagnose!

Either way, thanks for the responses so far.  keep em comin!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »
Check and clean all the harness connections to the PCM.  Ohm out the PCM-to-CKP sensor wire.  Verify all the PCM grounds.

Read through PO335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 82oldskid

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
well, just figured I'd update on this.  after having someone come by with an actual good scanner, and going through the  process of elimination, everything seems to be pointing to either the ECM or BCM.  We read some other codes that my cheap-o scanner couldn't, and apparently sometime in the past, there was a loss of power to the BCM.  Sucks, but at least I know I didn't screw anything up, as this was a prior issue.  So, yea, thats where we're at.  Just didn't wanna be one of theose guys who doesn't ever post what the final result was.  haha

Thanks to everyone for your assistance even so, I greatly appreciate it!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »
good luck with it