Author Topic: 76 GMC K14 Steering Parts ID Question  (Read 11813 times)

Offline GMCStepper76

76 GMC K14 Steering Parts ID Question
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:27:03 AM »
Ok I have a 76 GMC K15 shortbed stepside. Long story short is a wrecked my front end steering parts hitting a cattle guard in the oil field I work in.

The front frame was twisted so I bought a new frame. I scored on the frame ($275!) because its perfectly straight and it already has a all spring suspension lift. I am adding the ORD greasable shackles. Now my front and rear axles are fine. The new frame came with axles but don't trust them. Well I have swapped the axles and need to replace the drag link, tie rods and stuff. I have a taller steering arm. It came on the lifted frame. My steering box is fine. The pittman arm was bent as well. The new frame had that as well.  My axles have bigger axle tube as the new frames ubolts would not go over my axle. From research pics it "looks" like I have a 3/4 ton front axle. It is a 6 lug axle. Is that even possible? According to the pics it says its an 81 3/4 ton front axle. I noticed a big diff in the steering parts from the new frames axle to mine. I thought that may have been a diff from 75 (new frame) to my  old 76 frame. Any advice or info would be great guys. I have swapped my running gear and axles into the new frame and I'm ready to get the body back on (after paint) I really need to order the steering parts and what I need to replace looks NOTHING like what should be on a 76 1/2 ton 4X4.

Thanks in advance.

I have included the a pic of the bent tie rod on drivers side that are on my good axle for referance.

Also Here is a pic of the new frame with my running gear and bed on it. Any idea if this is a 4" or 6" lift. I have to get new tires as my 31's look silly with this lift.

Tony
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:32:22 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Jason S

Re: 76 GMC K14 Steering Parts ID Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
Howdy from Oklahoma. 

A few more photos of the axle would help, especially the differential and where the steering stabilizer brackets are on the axle.

Dana 44's and GM Corporate 10-bolt axles were used under the front of the 1/2 and 3/4-ton trucks. Within the same axle family, the main difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton axles are from the steering knuckle out.  If nothing has been swapped by a previous owner, then the '75 and '76 stuff should match.  It sounds like the front axle on your new frame had been swapped out at some point.

Your '76 K15 likely had a 6-lug Dana 44 front differential from the factory and Corporate 12-bolt rear.  Steering components depend mainly upon year model. From 1973 to early 1977 is one style of Dana 44 and from 1977 through 1980 was another style of Dana 44.  Also from 1977 up through the 80's ending with the 1991 R/V series was the GM Corporate 10 bolt front axle. 

Depending on the year models, steering components and other outer parts will swap between the Dana 44 and GM 10 bolt; however, you really need to identify exactly what axle you have.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:39:12 PM »
X2 on what Jason said. The axle tube is the same diamiter for 44s, and 10 bolts. What made them 1/2 or 3/4 ton is the amount of wheel studs basicaly.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline GMCStepper76

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »
Jason and Blazin,

Thanks for the info. Here are a few more pics that you asked for. I put the new ORD shackles on it last night. Pretty Sweet.

When I look in the catalogs the only pics that look right are for a 81 3/4 ton pickup but its a 6 lug. Let me know what you think. Thanks for all the help! I'm learing very quickly. After I get the steering parts. I will be 100% mechanically finished. Gonna start body work (sanding, sanding sanding) next week I hope.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate your knowledge very much.

Offline GMCStepper76

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »
Here are a few more pics. Broken steering parts, the other side of stabilizer mounts, Ubolt attachment and finally my new ORD HD Greaseable shackles. Wow they are sweet. Way stronger than stocks.

Thanks to everyone willing to spend their time learnin me on the stuff!

Thanks again,
Tony
Paso Robles, CA

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
In addition to the above information the 10 bolts were the same on the 1/2 and 3/4 as far as the spindle.  Only the backing plates to mount the larger discs are different.  I am picking up a set of these so I can eventually put the Hummer h2 wheels under my K5 Blazer with a 14bolt FF and a converted front axle.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
It's been a while so you may have found your answer already, but if not:

From the photos you posted it looks like you have the '77-up Dana 44 with an aftermarket steering stabilizer setup. 

If you're out hunting parts in a salvage yard, here are some things you can look at (on a Dana 44) to tell what style it is (i.e., early or late).

Here is a 3/4 ton version of the '77-up Dana 44.  Note where the factory steering stabilizer mounts to the axle and the the tie rod. The '77 and later Dana and 10-bolt axles had this setup.

Here is a closer image of the factory style stabilizer mount on the 77-up Dana 44. 

and a different view of the stabilizer setup on the 77-up Dana 44.

This is what the differential cover on a Dana 44 looks like, it doesn't matter if it is a 1/2 ton truck or 3/4 ton truck.

The later (i.e., '77-up Dana 44) had this style of caliper bracket/dust shield.

This is what the outer on the 3/4 ton '77-up Dana 44 looks like.  This axle came out from under a full time 4-wheel drive truck, however once the chrome cover, gear and retainer are removed it is the same axle as a part time truck.  A 1/2 ton axle '77-up Dana 44 would be similar, mainly 2-lug bolts lighter. At this point, a pair of locking hubs could be installed.   The 1/2 ton '77-down axle has a similar configuration.

This is the style of Dana 44 that your truck should have come with. This is the 3/4 ton version of the '77-down Dana 44. Note the location of the greasy nut on the tie rod.  This is where the steering stabilizer mounts to the tie rod on the '77-down Dana 44.

Note, the same differential cover (albeit dirtier)

The factory steering stabilizer attachment at the axle tube is outside the drivers side spring mount and mounts toward the middle of the tie rod.

The brake caliper bracket is much smaller and had a rather thin sheet metal dust shield.  The dust shield on this axle has been gone for a long time.

This is the outer on the '77-down Dana 44.  It is a different animal than everything else.  It uses an either a plate bolted to the hub  or external locking hubs.  Again, the 1/2 ton '77-down outer is more like the '77-up style.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:56:24 PM by Jason S »
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline GMCStepper76

Re: 76 GMC K15 Steering Parts ID Question *SUCCESS UPDATE*
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »
Well first things first! A HUGE Thank You to all that helped me out with your replies.

With your help I was able to get all my steering parts ordered and installed. I got the tall steering arm off my donor truck (3 wacks with a BFH) and new tie rod ends and drag link all installed. WOW it was WAY easier than I thought it would be. I made the new tie rods the same length (counting threads is hard...where are my glasses  :o) Everything went in real easy.

After the steering was rebuild we got to test fit the cab from my donor truck. Got the floor cut out (2WD cab on 4WD Frame) it fits PERFECT. I have the radiator mounts under the front of cab OPPS! But other than that NO ISSUES!!! It's not bolted down yet as I have to RhinoLine the underneath of cab and weld the nuts under it for the trans hump. Here are a few progress Pics.

Body and sanding is next. Still have to add the clutch pedal and get rid of the wide brake pedal in my donor cab. I am pretty sure the new frames lift is 4"s. Its gonna be SWEET! All spring lift already installed on new frame. Got the whole deal for $275!!

Any and all comments and suggestions are way welcome. Does anyone have a better idea for underneath the cab as far as a coating.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!