Author Topic: dana 60 rebuild  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
dana 60 rebuild
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:14:34 AM »
so as i stated i a earlier post i fixed my death wobble by adding a washer on top of the spring. but now its time to rebuild, found other sites of rebuild kits. but i dont think im going to stop there. might go ahead and replace tie rods, u joints, brakes/rotors and hub bearings.

its going to be a bit pricey and im sure my only problem is my brakes since i do feel a shimmy when i use them. but the hubs seamed hot last time when i drove it. dont never remember my dana 44 getting hot. and yes my truck was in 2wd with hubs unlocked. might just do the brakes/rotors kingpin and wheel bearings. but the question i have is has anyone rebuilt the kingpin and found a cheap price for the parts (from dana)?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Engineer

Re: dana 60 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:46:52 AM »
Ebay is where we got the stuff to do my son's.

I bought all of my stuff from GM back when it was still available.

We need to go back and do the U-joints in my son's 60 axle.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: dana 60 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »
Well took them apart didn't find anything wrong with the bearings. They looked kind of new. The brakes caused me to call out of work, didn't know how long that was going to take. Unscrewed the screw holding the brake hardware in place I hammered on it with a chisel for a good bit of time. Then I finally said some bad words and got out the air hammer and get her out.  Then I had to rush to the parts store to get new hardware .the brakes were cracked and rusted I'm sure it was the root of my problem.

Now I'm going to return the bearings and seals and get the kingpin rebuild kit
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes